We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Luis Obispo - Pismo Beach Family vacation

Northern CA
Level Contributor
79 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
San Luis Obispo - Pismo Beach Family vacation

We are planning a family vacation for next month, hopefully renting a beach house OR a hotel/suite type place. We live in San Jose and wanted to go somewhere close by...Travelling with a 2 1/2 year old and a 6 year old. Any ideas? Beaches, parks, restaurants, etc?

Thanks all.

San Luis Obispo...
Level Contributor
240 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Luis Obispo - Pismo Beach Family vacation

Maybe try Lighthouse Suites in Pismo Beach. This is a fairly new place and would be centrally located to many things.

Maybe you could share more of what you like to do with the little ones? Just take them to the beach and play every day, or go on activities?

One thing that you will probably like with the kids is the Thursday night Farmer's Market in San Luis Obispo. Another beach besides Pismo that you can take the kids to and is usually warmer is Avila Beach, just north of Pismo Beach. There are swings at both Pismo and Avila and Avila has a wonderful picnic area at the north end of the beach now. Perfect for an afternoon picnic with your kids.

If you go to the last pier in Avila, where Olde Port Inn (a wonderful restaurant) is, you can see a bunch of sea lions. Kids always like that too.

Also, lots of yummy restaurants. What are your preferences? There are a few of us locals that check this site, so I'm sure we can help you. Remember, it gets cool here easily with our fog, even in the summer, so pack a sweater or two.

Mentioned in this post
Pismo Beach
Pismo Beach
San Luis Obispo County, CA
Avila Beach
Avila Beach
Petaluma, California
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Luis Obispo - Pismo Beach Family vacation

All of us who live in the SLO area are great at giving information - cause we love our home! So, all I can do is add a few thoughts.

As someone who grew up in central california where it is deathly hot, my family always came to Cayucos every summer. My mother swore the sun always was shining in Cayucos while it is often foggy in Morro Bay. (I now live in Morro Bay and LOVE the fog - anything not to be in the heat) So, I love the little town of Cayucos, just 20 miles north of SLO. The beach is wide and clean and there is a pier to walk. There is this tiny five and dime type store to buy your kids a bucket and shovel. What memories that brings back to me as a kid. There is a swing set there too.

Pismo is a grand family beach and usually always sunny too. Much bigger - but still small town compared to what you are used to. It's good advice to go there too!

In Morro Bay there is a perfect musuem for your kids. Built with 26 hands-on activities for kids to learn about natural history, the Morro Bay Museum of Natural History sits overlooking the bay every day 10-5. It is only $2.00 for adults and free for kids. You can climb Whites Peak right in front of the Museum with the kids. All this is in the Morro Bay State Park. While there ask a Docent where to take the kids - like to see Living History at Montana de Oro state park, or go on a walk with a Docent to learn about the birds. Or visit the Heron and Commorant Rookery right by the Museum.

And by the way, since I drive all the way to San Jose to get my make-up can you bring it to me?? Just kidding!! Welcome to the coast.

Mentioned in this post
Cayucos
Cayucos
Morro Bay
Morro Bay
Montana
Montana
United States
San Luis Obispo...
Level Contributor
240 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Luis Obispo - Pismo Beach Family vacation

I agree, Cayucos is also a great little town and very close to Morro Bay. I remember that when I was a teen and we lived out of the area for a few years because of my father's job, we rented a beach house in Cayucos. I got to bring a friend and it was great fun!

Mentioned in this post
Cayucos
Cayucos
Morro Bay
Morro Bay
Seattle
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Luis Obispo - Pismo Beach Family vacation

I know I'm a little late but next time try Lighthouse Suites in Avila Beach. A truly magnificent property with the most amazing location. I am a travel agent and just put a group there........fabulous to say the least. The people are wonderful, the property beautiful. There is no place better than Avila for a family. The beach has a wonderful parklike setting and the ocean has no big waves. It's great!

Mentioned in this post
Avila Beach
Avila Beach
Seattle
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Luis Obispo - Pismo Beach Family vacation

I know I'm a little late but next time try Lighthouse Suites in Avila Beach. A truly magnificent property with the most amazing location. I am a travel agent and just put a group there........fabulous to say the least. The people are wonderful, the property beautiful. There is no place better than Avila for a family. The beach has a wonderful parklike setting and the ocean has no big waves. It's great!

Mentioned in this post
Avila Beach
Avila Beach
California coast
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: San Luis Obispo - Pismo Beach Family vacation

Just wanted to "second" the post about the natural history museum in Morro Bay; it is small but delightful, with several things that will interest kids, and the site itself is amazing. You look up casually, and discover that there are a dozen huge shore birds resting in the tree above you. Don't know if the Children's museum in SLO is re-opened, but our grandchildren remember it so vividly that it's worth looking into.

Mentioned in this post
Morro Bay
Morro Bay