We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to live near san luis obispo

seattle
2 posts
Save Topic
where to live near san luis obispo

I live on one of the islands off the coast of western washington. I love the small, culturally rich town I live in, but the winters are a little too long for me. I am looking to move to California, hopefully to a university town of smallish size, close enough to the ocean that I can get there quickly. San Luis Obispo catches my eye but seems VERY expensive. Are there places within or close to San Luis Obispo where one can live in a community of reasonable housing costs? How is it living in this part of California?

los angeles, ca
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to live near san luis obispo

HI newagain,

There have been many new developments and new housing along the Central Coast that makes everyone wants to live there. The Central Coast has been discovered as a place to live and more and more people are wanting to move up there. A couple areas close to San Luis Obispo, maybe Grover Beach or Santa Maria. It can be maybe a 1/2 hour drive to SLO. Lompoc is another place, not too expensive yet, but it is a drive to San Luis Obispo, but it is central to San Luis Obispo, Buelton and Santa Barbara. Good Luck!

Petaluma, California
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to live near san luis obispo

We love living on the Central Coast. However, the medium price range for a house here is well over $500,000 and rising every day. We can't afford to own, but dream of it because of the property values. We rent for $800 for a two bedroom which is a great deal for this area. The smaller towns are more desirable and therefore even more expensive than San Luis Obispo (called SLO). The weather is always lovely and never really too cold - although we have had quite a bit of rain this year. The least expensive areas around here are Atascadero or Paso Robles - the wine countries of the area growing Zinfindel and about 30 minutes over the coastal mountains to the ocean, and 20 minutes to SLO. Also, check out Arroyo Grande and Los Osos for pricing. You can find lots starting at $100,000 if you want to build yourself. If you move here you are 4 hours to Los Angeles or San Francisco which is splendid for culture and shopping. We go to one of them every month. There are lots of farmers markets in this area (at least one a day) many special events, a junior college and the university, and the natural environment is a delight every day from the Monarch Grove to the Elephant Seals to the bird season in January in Morro Bay, the state and national Estuary in Morro Bay, and very diverse beaches. There are a half dozen State Parks featuring the absolute best beaches and most astounding views anywhere. I would suggest coming to visit soon to check it out! And call the above mentioned Chambers to send you real estate information. Good luck!

San Luis Obispo, CA
Level Contributor
1 post
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to live near san luis obispo

I completely agree with prior poster Gourmand. I have lived in SLO for 18 years, it is unique within this area, but almost unaffordable these days. I don't believe you would be happy in Santa Maria or Lompoc, these are almost completely opposite of SLO in terms of culture, growth, traffic, lack of a downtown center. Nice in their own way but not what you describe. The most affordable areas of SLO County are what we call "over the grade" which means it (North County) is separated from SLO (city) by a mountain range that climbs to about 1700 ft. Paso Robles is an up and coming wine region with a downtown center and delightful shops and restaurants. But the temperature is much less temperate than SLO with summer highs in the 100's and winter lows in the 20 or 30's. And, as mentioned, Los Osos could be more affordable. It is on the coast, is a small community, and has fewer temperature extremes, but coastal fog in the summer. Whatever you choose, I highly recommend renting in an area before buying just to be sure you have the right situation for yourself year round. Good luck!

seattle
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: where to live near san luis obispo

Thanks for all the insight and advise. We're headed down that way in another month to check out all suggestions. If anyone else has advise, keep it coming. Thanks again!

SLO, CA
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: where to live near san luis obispo

My wife and I just moved to SLO from New Hampshire. We were going to rent before we bought because the housing is sooo expensive. We decided to buy a mobile home while we searched for a house. The parks here are very nice and quiet. I have never lived in a mobile home before but you can buy a 1200 SF home for about $150,000 plus $400 a month park fees.

I moved from a beautiful house with an acre of land in Southern New Hampshire and I'll take the mobile home in SLO any day of the week!

This place is a Shangrila . . .

Sol
Shell Beach,CA
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: where to live near san luis obispo

I agree, the central coast is truly beautiful. You have to decide if you can live with the higher cost of housing,(it took me 3 years of going back and forth from SoCal to here) to really decide I could take a little less house for a lot more 'lifestyle'...meaning beauty, small town feel, less traffic,crowds, etc. I love it here. Rent prices aren't too bad...it's the sales prices that are sooo high.

Morro Bay...
Level Contributor
815 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to live near san luis obispo

I am a native California and was raised in Southern California. Like almost everyone in SLO County, I came for the quality of life 26 years ago. I lived in Los Osos for most of that time, moving to Morro Bay in January of 2004. Morro Bay is a small town right on the water with a nice sense of community. Los Osos, though less expensive, is primarily a "bedroom community" for San Luis Obispo and evryone goes to work somewhere else.

This is a wondeful place to live and everyone you meet here will tell you they love it and are here for that reason...not for great salaries or cheap houing, that's for sure! However, it is still probably less expensive than any other coastal community in Cal. It is certainly more expensive south in San Diego, Hermosa or Santa Barbara or north in Monterey, Santa Cruz or San Francisco.

The only complaint anyone ever has is the limited cultural environment if one is used to lrge cities with many opportunities for theatre, opera, fine dining, live music, etc. Most of us, though, find it sufficient to make the occasional weekend trip to San Francisco or L.A> for such things...and are more than ready to return home after a few days of the big city. There is also limited cultural diversity here as compared to a lmore populated area.

I also suggest you explore the county thoroughly as each town has a personality all it's own.

Good luck!

Get answers to your questions about San Luis Obispo