We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One night the SLO area

Which San Luis Obispo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Annapolis, Maryland
8 posts
Save Topic
One night the SLO area

I have been getting advice on the Big Sur forum and the hubby/I were extremely excited for our stay at the Glen Oaks/exploring Big Sur as we head north from LA to SF. Unfortunately, with the recent problems on the HWY I, it seems like we will definitely have to plan a detour for our trip in late April.

We are planning on visiting Hearst Castle and then heading back south to spend the evening/night in either Morro Bay, Pasa Robles, SLO or somewhere else in the area.

We are a young, married couple looking for a location that will offer good food and a walkable downtown area for some post dinner drinks/exploration.

Does anyone have suggestions for such a location? I am leaning towards SLO but unsure of a "downtown" hotel? We will be heading North on the 101 for Monterey the next day.

Thank you!

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,897 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One night the SLO area

There isn't much in the way of lodging near downtown. The Garden Street Inn is the closest to the downtown shops/restaurants. It gets pretty good reviews, so you might take a look at that. http://gardenstreetinn.com/

There are a few hotels along Monterey Street, but it wold mean a bit of a walk to get to the downtown area:

hiexpress.com/hotels/…hoteldetail

http://www.lacuestainn.com/

http://www.qualitysuitesslo.com/

Novo would be a great place for dinner. Nice patio area overlooking San Luis Creek: http://www.novorestaurant.com/cm/Home.html

Cambria would also be a nice overnight option. Quaint, charming, romantic town close to Hearst Castle and easy access to Highway 101 via Highway 46 just south of town. www.cambriachamber.org/

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,318 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One night the SLO area

We were in the area last month and stayed in Shell Beach. Shell Beach had the nicest hotels we saw in the region and many have ocean views. We stayed at the Cliffs Resort and had a spectacular oceanfront view.

There is nothing better than leaving your balcony door open to listen to the crashing surf during the night. Most of the hotels have restaurants adjacent or you can drive a short distance into Pismo Beach for a wider selection of restaurants.

Oh, and there's the world famous F McClintocks in Shell Beach as well.

Avila Beach...
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One night the SLO area

Cambria is a nice option (stay at Moonstone Beach and dine at Moonstone Bar & Grill). Or consider Avila Beach (Inn at Avila Beach - you can wak to Custom House for dinner), Sycamore Mineral Springs (Gardens of Avila restaurant on site), Shell Beach or Pismo Beach (Sea Venture - you can walk to pier and restaurants from there).

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
22,528 posts
5,276 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One night the SLO area

In the SLO area, we like the San Luis Creek Inn. It is nestled in "motel" row close to the freeway; about a 5 minute drive to downtown. The rooms are very nice and they have breakfast included in the morning Its a fairly romantic place....so if the two of you want a nice get away its a great place to stay. Look for hotel specials on line - as sometimes they do offer better rates especially mid week. I usually get an offer every so often from them in email with very reasonable rates.

http://www.sanluiscreeklodge.com/

Level Contributor
34,739 posts
895 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One night the SLO area

We also love The Cliffs Resort, the views from the property are beautiful! If you like to spa, there is Sycamore Springs Resort in SLO that also very nice. Enjoy your travels! :)

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,600 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One night the SLO area

I second SLO and San Luis Creek Lodge. Just back from a two night stay there, our fifth visit. As previous poster stated, it's a 5 minute drive to downtown. If you don't want to deal with your car, take a cheap cab ride out and back. Fabulous restaurants downtown, our favorite is Buono Tavolo and Koberel at Blue is also fantastic. Downtown walkable nightlife from both

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
43 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One night the SLO area

Must chime in here for our lovely little walkable city, its wonderful New England-esque downtown park and the historic Paso Robles Inn across from the downtown park: http://www.pasoroblesinn.com/

You will also find very fine restaurants here (Bouna Tavola, Bistro Laurent, Panolivo, Artisan, Thai Basil, Paso Robles Inn Steakhouse), wine bars, and even olive oil tasting all adjoining or within 2 blocks of the park.

Further, and our wonderful sister cities along the Central Coast cannot offer this, when you finish the Hearst Castle tour do some wine tasting: drive down Highway 1 just beyond Cambria and turn left on panoramic Highway 46 to take you to Paso Robles. Along that route into Paso Robles way you will find numerous wineries for your enjoyment: http://www.paso46westwineries.com/map.php

You can then pop onto Highway 101 very easily the next morning for your return trip to Monterey, perhaps after having breakfast at rustic Vic's Cafe which also is just off the park.

Although nothing ever can compare to downtown Annapolis, our little city may have comfortable echoes of it and be a most pleasant surprise to you.

Whatever choice you make (and you have many wonderful choices) you will enjoy your time on the real Central Coast of California.

Annapolis, Maryland
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: One night the SLO area

Thank you so much to everyone for your wonderful advice. I am looking into all of the recommendations now!

Huntington Beach
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One night the SLO area

May I chime in?

My spouse and I stayed at the Cliffs Resort and then the Apple Farm Inn (SLO) when passing through this area. If your like beachfront hotels, then I would highly recommend the Cliffs Resort. However, we tended to like the area of San Luis Obispo better - (maybe its because we already live next to the beach and wanted something different).

We stayed at the Apple Farm Inn. The SLO downtown is very charming. Its a lively college town which is comprised of restored historic buildings. Lots of restaurants, shopping and a movie theater all within walking distance of the Inn on Monterey Street. Kind of reminded us of Vancouver and a little bit of some areas of NY. (Never been to New England - so I can't compare). We like to drop our luggage and explore and this location let us do that!

I would choose the San Luis Creek Inn on my next visit to the area as it is down the street from the Apple Farm Inn. (I have a bone to pick with Apple Farm because on our visit, we were put in the Trellis Court A rooms which at that time were "dogs" compared to the Main Inn.-We were not told this at booking so it felt like a bait and switch tactic- but since then they have built Trellis Court B and C so surely they must be much nicer now than when we stayed years ago.

I am surprised no one mentioned the Madonna Inn!!!

Edited: 17 April 2011, 17:04
Avila Beach...
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One night the SLO area

For one thing, the Madonna Inn is not within walking distance of anything interesting. It can be fun but I think it only appeals to certain people....

Get answers to your questions about San Luis Obispo