We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One night the SLO area

Annapolis, Maryland
8 posts
Save Topic
One night the SLO area

I have been getting advice on the Big Sur forum and the hubby/I were extremely excited for our stay at the Glen Oaks/exploring Big Sur as we head north from LA to SF. Unfortunately, with the recent problems on the HWY I, it seems like we will definitely have to plan a detour for our trip in late April.

We are planning on visiting Hearst Castle and then heading back south to spend the evening/night in either Morro Bay, Pasa Robles, SLO or somewhere else in the area.

We are a young, married couple looking for a location that will offer good food and a walkable downtown area for some post dinner drinks/exploration.

Does anyone have suggestions for such a location? I am leaning towards SLO but unsure of a "downtown" hotel? We will be heading North on the 101 for Monterey the next day.

Thank you!

San Luis Obispo...
Level Contributor
34 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: One night the SLO area

I'm a local and would suggest you stay in San Luis Obispo (although for what you want Paso Robles would also work) SLO has a very charming downtown with a number of restaurants and bars. If the weather is nice (which is usually is) Novo would be a good choice for dinner because of the charming, creekside dining area. Koberl at Blue and Luna Red are also good options for dinner.

The Garden Street Inn is the best located place to stay in town. It was getting a bit "tired" looking but I noticed recently that they seemed to be doing some renovations.

If you are in town on a Thursday night the downtown Farmers' Market is a weekly street fair and not to be missed.

Atlanta, Ga.
Level Contributor
234 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: One night the SLO area

We will be leaving Carmel sometime on a Thursday and need to be in either Cambria or SLO Thurs night and then back in LA Friday evening. Where should be overnight on Thursday. Is the SLO farmers market worth the trip? Am thinking Santa Barbara is stretching it as we don't want to be driving most of Thursday. What is a good mid-way point that would give us sightseeing time on Thursday as well as Friday, before we are back in LA Friday evening. Am open to suggestions not mentioned in my post.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,741 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: One night the SLO area

The SLO farmer's market is considered one of the best in the country, if that helps. But, yes, Santa Barbara would be pushing it.

Any of these towns would make a good overnight stop:

Cambria www.cambriachamber.org/

Morro Bay www.morrobay.org/

San Luis Obispo www.visitslo.com

Pismo Beach www.classiccalifornia.com

BTW- There is more to see between Carmel & SLO than there is between SLO and LA.

Also, don't know when your trip is, but part of Highway 1 is closed between Carmel & Cambria due to a huge landslide that will take weeks to clear. This info may or may not affect your trip, again, depending on when you're traveling.

14. Re: One night the SLO area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 08:24
Get answers to your questions about San Luis Obispo