We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Night out Sunday in June...

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,211 posts
255 reviews
Save Topic
Night out Sunday in June...

My girlfriend and I will be in San Luis Obispo for one Sunday night in June, after CalPoly commencement.

We have a long day and an evening of stuff planned and probably once we are done with it we won't be looking to do anything else.

However, I would like to have a bar or club in my notes so if we were up for it we could find it.

Now, I know it's Sunday, which is never a good night. And it's outside of term time (isn't it, does commencement signal the end of term?), but not the height of summer, which probably isn't wonderful either. And I'd be looking for somewhere that's open pretty late as we wouldn't probably be going until close to midnight.

We'd like to hear about relaxed nightclubs and bars, perhaps with live music. I'm a bit loathed to narrow it down too much further.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,894 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Night out Sunday in June...

SLO's bars stay open until 2 am, when legally they have to close.

There are a few downtown, each with their own ambiance, though I do not speak from experience.

Here they are:

Bull's Tavern

The Library

Creekside Brewing Company

Spike's Pub

It's also likely that Firestone Grill and Woodstock's Pizza will be open if you want to grab a beer. Both also downtown.

Just keep in mind that SLO is still a college town year round and will always have a student presence about.

Edited: 15 December 2011, 22:43
London, United...
Level Contributor
17,211 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Night out Sunday in June...

Thank you, Kibblesmom. I will look into all those options but I wonder if anyone else coming to this thread could perhaps narrow down the list or add a ten word review of any of the places?

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,894 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Night out Sunday in June...

There aren't a lot of TA's here on the coast who respond regularly, LDN_2009, so not sure you'll get a lot of responses, besides mine. I'm sure most local responders are like myself...... older and not into the bar scene these days, lol!!

Maybe try Yelp or something along those lines.

Richmond, California
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Night out Sunday in June...

Mo Tav (aka Mother's Tavern) has the biggest scene. Eureka!Burger may also be worth visiting. It just opened last month, and we were there last Saturday night. It was hopping with young people crowded around the bar, and had a huge selection of brews at low prices: always good for attracting a crowd.

http://www.eurekaburger.com/photos.html

SLO is much smaller than London and nearly all of the nightlife is contained in a single discrete area. All of the busiest places are clustered in a rectangle bounded by four streets: Higuera, Marsh, Nipomo and Santa Rosa. It's a very contained place with plenty of people walking around most nights. You won't miss anything if you look around there.

Edited: 16 December 2011, 11:41
Avila Beach...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Night out Sunday in June...

Also SLO Brew. Or if you want a 10 minute drive, Mr. Ricks in Avila Beach. I may be older, but I still like an occasional good time lol.

San Luis Obispo...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Night out Sunday in June...

A lot of the more relaxing bars that I would recommend are unfortunately closed early on Sunday.

If you happen to find time or make it sooner, Koberl at Blue is a fantastic upscale restaurant with a bar that is open until midnight. It's a bit pricy, but it is, arguably, the most relaxing.

Most of the other bars mentioned are very solid choices as well.

SLO Brew has some theme nights and is very fun. Caters towards younger crowd.

Mother's Tavern is always one of the busiest and more popular of all the bars downtown.

Another one I would personally recommend is Pappy McGregor's which is an Irish Pub on Monterey St. It's right across the street from the Holiday Inn Express, and just under a block away from us. They have a very cozy outdoor fire pit which makes it very nice to sit out by and have a drink.

Cheers.

7. Re: Night out Sunday in June...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 December 2012, 10:16
Get answers to your questions about San Luis Obispo