We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bike from san luis obispo to Paso Robes by way of Hwy 1

Which San Luis Obispo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Carlsbad, California
3 posts
Save Topic
bike from san luis obispo to Paso Robes by way of Hwy 1

Please give options; should we go west and take hwy1 to old creek road to 46?; take the 101 grade over to santa margarite and take side streets; ride to cambria and take 46Hwy to paso robles.

HeLp!

N California
Level Contributor
505 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bike from san luis obispo to Paso Robes by way of Hwy 1

I would vote for the old creek road route. Or possibly going further up past 46 and taking Santa Rosa Creek road from Cambria.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,897 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bike from san luis obispo to Paso Robes by way of Hwy 1

I don't think bikes are allowed on the grade, sue. Besides, that's a brutal climb in a car, let alone on a bike!

From where in SLO would you begin this ride?

I suggest riding from Santa Rosa Street (Business Highway 1) to Old Creek Road, which meets up with Highway 46. Less traffic on Old Creek Road to deal with.

Start early. That's a long ride! And be careful.... Highway 46 is wine country and you never know if someone on the road has had a little too much to drink.

Carlsbad, California
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: bike from san luis obispo to Paso Robes by way of Hwy 1

Look out Mr. Old Creek Road here we go. Thanks again.

Carlsbad, California
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: bike from san luis obispo to Paso Robes by way of Hwy 1

Hey thanks for the 46 wine driver warning. I finally got a hold of a map. Mr. Old Creek Road looks fun and challenging. My husband I are plan leaving early thursday morning. Wheres a good food place in Morro Bay?

thanks

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,897 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bike from san luis obispo to Paso Robes by way of Hwy 1

If looking for a breakfast place: Frankie & Lola's on Front Street

Lunch: Taco Temple or Dorn's

Cambria, California
Destination Expert
for San Simeon, Cambria
Level Contributor
453 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bike from san luis obispo to Paso Robes by way of Hwy 1

Another nice place for breakfast in Morro Bay, casual and economical, is Carla's Kitchen. Head west (towards the rock) on Beach Street from Main Street and it's on the right just before the slope down to the Embarcadero/Harbor area. Dorns can be a bit pricey...Frankie and Lolos is on the Embarcadero just north of Beach Street and just south of the power plant (you can't miss the stacks for a landmark).

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: bike from san luis obispo to Paso Robes by way of Hwy 1

I used to make this trek twice a week in the late 80s. I'd go up the 101 partway and then take Stage Coach Road up the grade. Near Santa Margarita, I'd take El Camino Real to the North end of Atascadero, then I'd get back on the 101 to Templeton where I'd get back on the 101. It appears now that there are more frontage roads you can take to stay off the freeway.

8. Re: bike from san luis obispo to Paso Robes by way of Hwy 1

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2013, 10:16
Get answers to your questions about San Luis Obispo