We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SLO: Vacation w/ Teen: What To Do?

NJ
Level Contributor
227 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
SLO: Vacation w/ Teen: What To Do?

Hi there,

We will be stopping in SLO in August. I'm looking for fun, interesting things to do with my teen son (age14). Are there any cool events/things to do that would interest a teen? Beach not necessary..exhibits at Cal Poly? Sites/restaurants we should not miss while there? Trying to plan a great summer trip...suggestions in surrounding towns would be welcomed! He's not much into sports...but loves the arts..thanks!

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
21,400 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SLO: Vacation w/ Teen: What To Do?

IF you are here on a Thursday night, we have a pretty cool farmer's market in downtown SLO that is much more than just a bunch of farmers selling produce.

Bubblegum Alley. An equally gross and intriguing local phenomenon.

Harmony glass shop off Highway 1 between Cayucos and Cambria. You can watch the glass artisans at work

The Great American Melodrama in Oceano

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Dining:

Firestone Grill

Mo's BBQ

Woodstock's Pizza

Splash Cafe

Novo (Freshly prepared international fare overlooking San Luis Creek)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Check Cal Poly's website for the Performing Arts Center to see what events may be happening at the time of your visit.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sights not to miss while visiting the area:

Mission San Luis Obispo

Cambria (An artist community nestled in pines by the sea)

Hearst Castle

Elephant seal rookery 4 miles north of Hearst Castle

Montana de Oro State Park (A locals favorite for easy hikes with gorgeous views)

Hot tub rental at Sycamore Mineral Springs?

Mentioned in this post
Bubblegum Alley
Bubblegum Alley
767 Reviews
San Luis Obispo, CA
Cayucos
Cayucos
San Luis Obispo County, CA
Cambria
Cambria
Oceano
Oceano
Firestone Grill
Firestone Grill
836 Reviews
San Luis Obispo, CA
Woodstock's Pizza
Woodstock's Pizza
180 Reviews
San Luis Obispo, CA
Novo
Novo
1,049 Reviews
San Luis Obispo, CA
Performing Arts Center
Performing Arts Center
83 Reviews
San Luis Obispo, CA
Montana
Montana
United States
Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,394 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SLO: Vacation w/ Teen: What To Do?

Check this out to see if the dates work for you. Looks like fun. slolittletheatre.org/mainstage?s=00000018

NJ
Level Contributor
227 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SLO: Vacation w/ Teen: What To Do?

These are great suggestions, restaurants too! We do love to hike, but don't want to do long hikes since we'll be on the road quite a bit...any other suggestions are welcomed!!! I think we will be there on a Thursday night, actually!! So this is great..thanks!!

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,995 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SLO: Vacation w/ Teen: What To Do?

My teens liked the Madonna Inn, as they couldn't believe someone actually went and decorated in that manner. The men's restroom under the coffee shop was a real fave (for both sexes, as everyone wanted to see it). It's kitschy and overpriced for food, but it is very interesting. Of course, my kids had a complete tour of the main building from a Madonna Inn nostalgist (me). They also enjoyed just looking at the horses (miniature and otherwise) at Madonna Inn. To me, it's an SLO must-see, if only to frame SLO's colorful (pink) history.

Mentioned in this post
Madonna Inn
Madonna Inn
1,729 Reviews
San Luis Obispo, CA
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,400 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SLO: Vacation w/ Teen: What To Do?

The bluff trail hike at Montana de Oro State Park is a loop trail that can be done in less than 30 minutes. Nothing too drastic at all. The trail starts at the top of a hill above a cove/beach area out to an ocean carved bluff with views up to Morro Bay and Morro Rock. The ocean swells are huge in this area and there are some stairs that lead down to an enclosed beach with tide pools.

Glad you'll be here on a Thursday night for farmer's market. You might just want to take advantage of the street BBQ's down there. They close off Higuera Street and create a street fair, along with the produce vendors. The BBQ'a are put on by a few of the local restaurants that have a presence in the downtown area.

Mentioned in this post
Montana
Montana
United States
Morro Bay
Morro Bay
Sausalito...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SLO: Vacation w/ Teen: What To Do?

I have a similar question - but looking for activities for a younger child (10). Any water slide parks, putt-putt, go-carts or other amusements in the area? The farmer's market and hiking trails sound great but the kids like to have a little excitement in there too. Thanks!

Avila Beach...
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SLO: Vacation w/ Teen: What To Do?

There is also a farmer's market with music in Avila Beach on Friday nights. May want to check out the Oceano Melodrama, it's quite fun. As for younger children, there's the Exploration Station in Grover Beach, Mustang water slides at Lopez Lake and Ravine Water Park in Paso Robles. Santa Maria has Boomers with a variety of games, boats, go-carts etc.

Mentioned in this post
Avila Beach
Avila Beach
Grover Beach
Grover Beach
Paso Robles
Paso Robles
Santa Maria
Santa Maria
Ilha do Sal, Cape Verde
NJ
Level Contributor
227 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: SLO: Vacation w/ Teen: What To Do?

Wish all of the replies had a "like" button, because I appreciate all of the responses!!! I'm thinking if we stay in SLO for two nights, we can branch out a bit and see surrounding towns...suggestions for doing that? Then we'd head down to Santa Barbara or right on to LA...would that be a 3 hour trip to LA? We are totally on a budget, as well...think I'm going to have to do Priceline bid for a hotel :(...but at least we're getting to CA!!

Mentioned in this post
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
California
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,400 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: SLO: Vacation w/ Teen: What To Do?

SLO is a good base for exploring Pismo Beach, Avila Beach, Montana de Oro, Morro Bay, Cayucos, Cambria on the coast. Paso Robles is good for wine and olive oil tasting, Atascadero has an accredited zoo: Charles Paddock Zoo.

We have kayaking in Pismo Beach, Avila Beach and Morro Bay. Bi-plane rides or skydiving from the Oceano Airport. Ziplining in Santa Margarita, a hot springs pool on the road to Avila Beach, OHV riding in the Oceano Dunes or hire the guy who gives rides in the dunes in a Hummer.

www.classiccalifornia.com

www.cambriachamber.org/

www.morrobay.org/

www.hearstcastle.com

Edited: 15 July 2013, 04:05
Mentioned in this post
Pismo Beach
Pismo Beach
Avila Beach
Avila Beach
Montana
Montana
United States
Morro Bay
Morro Bay
Cayucos
Cayucos
Cambria
Cambria
Paso Robles
Paso Robles
Atascadero
Atascadero
Santa Margarita
Santa Margarita
10. Re: SLO: Vacation w/ Teen: What To Do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2014, 06:18