We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Secret" charm of SLO

Glastonbury,CT
Level Contributor
314 posts
132 reviews
Save Topic
"Secret" charm of SLO

I'm not quite sure how to ask this question but it is precipitated by our visit last year to the San francisco and Carmel area. After booking hotels, I learned about the bagpiper that strolls along the greens at Spanish Bay in Pebble and at the Ritz in Half Moon Bay.

We made a point to visit Roy's, garb a blanket and order a drink and thoroughly enjoyed the sunset capped by the strolling bagpiper. we loved experiencing this little "secret".

I'm wondering if there is anything comparably charming in the SLO/ Cambria area.

Thanks in advance.

Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
879 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Secret" charm of SLO

I like Thursday night farmers markets, and Garden street. If Laneas is still there, or SLO Brew, or Mothers, those are my picks. There is also a lovely walk along the river Parallel to Higuera St

Morro Bay...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: "Secret" charm of SLO

Morro Bay is just passed San Luis Obispo and right before Cambria. It's a quaint town that will be worth your discovery. When are you planning on coming? Something unique that happens in Morro Bay is the arrival of the Tall-Ships in February. This is the highly anticipated return visit of the majestic tall-ship Lady Washington as well as the topsail ketch Hawaiian Chieftain. During their stay, the Lady Washington and Hawaiian Chieftain will be offering walk-on tours and two options for sailing excursions. Crew in 18th century costumes will welcome visitor’s dockside for ship handling demonstrations, sea shanty singing and story telling.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,921 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "Secret" charm of SLO

Seems like there's always something going on over the weekend on the Central Coast, but nothing daily of note. Yes, we have a pretty cool farmer's market in downtown SLO on Thursday night's, but it isn't along the lines of the bagpiper at Roy's.

I can recommend sunset dining or cocktails at the Ventana Grill in Pismo Beach. This restaurant on the Shore Cliff Lodge property sits on a bluff that gives you the feel of dining over the water. The views are amazing on a clear day or with the fog bank off in the horizon. The food is pretty good, too.

This area is pretty modest compared to the Monterey Peninsula's abject wealth. We are more of a laid back environment in comparison.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,229 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Secret" charm of SLO

The Lady Washington and Hawaiian Chieftain stop in many coastal towns in Washington, Oregon and California. They are not unique to Morro Bay, it is simply one of their stops. If interested, you can look up their full schedule :-)

5. Re: "Secret" charm of SLO

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about San Luis Obispo