We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Los Osos Valley Rd/Bay Blvd as alternative to CA-1(N)...

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,199 posts
255 reviews
Save Topic
Los Osos Valley Rd/Bay Blvd as alternative to CA-1(N)...

I'm going to be travelling See Canyon Rd/Prefumo Canyon Rd south to north later in the year.

Looking at the route on Google Maps, instead of connecting me back on to CA-1(N) at San Luis Obispo it takes me north-west on Los Osos Valley Rd, north on Bay Blvd through Los Osos and connects me back on to CA-1(N) there.

If I drag the route to force it to connect me at San Luis Obispo it adds a minute so it's one of those kinks of some route planners that doesn't take account of how complicated the route it offers you is if it saves you time. (In other words, most people would rather add a minute to their journey and have a simpler route, right?)

However, my excitement is always pricked by seeing off-the-beaten-track routes through places I don't know. So if this Los Osos Valley Rd/Bay Blvd route is a worthwhile diversion I'm happy to take it.

Is it? And, if it is, why?

Thank you.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,497 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Los Osos Valley Rd/Bay Blvd as alternative to CA-1(N)...

One of my favorites!

LOVR takes you through mostly open space with open ranch lands and views of the ancient volcanic peaks. As you enter Los Osos, there's the Los Osos Oaks Reserve to your left with trails through groves of centuries old gnarled oak trees. If you were to continue on Los Osos Valley Road past South Bay Blvd, the road would eventually turn southward and becomes Pecho Road, which leads into the wonderful Montana de Oro State Park. You wind your way through eucalyptus trees until the road opens up to ocean view. There's a popular cove at the bottom of where the road dips down and then the road ascends to a bluff top where you can park and walk out to the edge of ocean carved cliffs overlooking the dramatic surf and upwards to Morro Bay. As the trail turns south, there are hidden stairs that lead down to a secluded beach where you'll find tide pools that you can walk out onto and look at urchins, starfish, sand crabs, etc. The trail loops back to the parking area, but there's a turn you can take to continue walking along a coastal path.

South Bay Blvd takes you past one of the few estuary's we have in California. You can either stay on South Bay to Highway 1 or take the left turn into Morro Bay State Park and enjoy a leisurely drive by the estuary on one side and the pine trees on the other. There's a sweet natural history museum to your left just past the campground entrance. The state park road then enters into the city of Morro Bay and you can wind your way back to Highway 1 from there or stop and browse the embarcadero shops or drive over to Morro Rock and watch for Peregrine Falcons flying above and the surfers hanging 10 in the surf.

If that all sounds like too much, then another diversion off Los Osos Valley Road is Turri Road, which is a right hand turn approx. 2 miles or so from the Foothill Blvd turn. Turri Road is narrow and hilly, but it deposits you right at South Bay Blvd with the estuary right in front of you. A right turn puts you in the direction of Highway 1, as well as the aforementioned Morro Bay State Park.

Either/or.... a nice diversion that most travelers miss out on in their rush to get to Point B.

Edited: 06 March 2014, 18:56
London, United...
Level Contributor
17,199 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Los Osos Valley Rd/Bay Blvd as alternative to CA-1(N)...

LOVR... Los Osos Valley Road... of course! I wondered why The Rib Line named a sandwich LOVR. Of course!

Thank you for the information. As always you are a source of so much valuable stuff.

Let me take it all in, have a look round and come back to you in a couple of hours...

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,497 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Los Osos Valley Rd/Bay Blvd as alternative to CA-1(N)...

Here's a photo of the ancient volcanic peaks you'll see as you drive down LOVR (Photo obviously taken in early Spring because everything is so green):

…wordpress.com/2012/03/img_5497-2.jpg

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,199 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Los Osos Valley Rd/Bay Blvd as alternative to CA-1(N)...

Oh, boy! That's a view!

I've just had a little look. If I decided I wanted to do 'all of the above' would you help me piece it together?

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,199 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Los Osos Valley Rd/Bay Blvd as alternative to CA-1(N)...

Right! Looking at things in a little more detail it seems you've given such a succinct description that I think I can move forward on my own. Bound to get stuck but for now I'm looking good.

The only thing is finding the hidden stairs for the secluded beach where I'll find the tide pools full of sea life. Can you help me pinpoint those stairs?

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,497 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Los Osos Valley Rd/Bay Blvd as alternative to CA-1(N)...

"....Can you help me pinpoint those stairs?"

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Walk straight out to the edge of the cliff. Turn left, but do NOT steer back to the main path. Walk as far to the south before you encounter the south facing edge. You should be able to see the secluded beach below. Steer left for a short distance until you see an opening close to the beach below but well before you reach the main walking path. The stairs should be visible to you at this point.

Do be careful at the tide pools. You have to walk out onto jagged rock that is covered in slippery seaweed. And NEVER turn your back on the ocean. Rogue, unexpected waves you can catch you off guard and wash you out to sea. Otherwise, enjoy!

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,199 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Los Osos Valley Rd/Bay Blvd as alternative to CA-1(N)...

Thank you. Whereabouts along Pecho Valley Road are we talking?

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,497 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Los Osos Valley Rd/Bay Blvd as alternative to CA-1(N)...

Here's a photo of the stairs looking northward (You would be walking southward):

smigelskiphotography.com/2011/…

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,497 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Los Osos Valley Rd/Bay Blvd as alternative to CA-1(N)...

Here's a map of Montana de Oro:

www.slostateparks.com/maps.asp…

Los Osos Valley Road merges with Pecho Road and leads right into the park. There is NO entry fee (Yay!). Continue to drive until you get past the eucalyptus trees and the ocean comes into view (Maybe a mile, maybe 2). The road will turn downward toward the ocean and you'll see the campground on the hill above and Spooner's Cove at the bottom of the road. The road then turns southward and rises steeply toward the campground. You'll see off road parking on the ocean side and the beginning of the trailhead for the Bluff Trail. Park there, enter the trailhead and enjoy the walk. Lots of people will be there, too, so you can see where everyone is going.

Edited: 06 March 2014, 21:10
London, United...
Level Contributor
17,199 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Los Osos Valley Rd/Bay Blvd as alternative to CA-1(N)...

Okay, great. Thank you.

Tell me also, please, if you can, from the small parking lot at the trailhead for Black Hill in Morro Bay, how far is the climb to the top? In all of distance covered, height gained and time taken... if you have all that info. Even rough.

Get answers to your questions about San Luis Obispo