We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public transportation after 6pm from downtown SLO

Which San Luis Obispo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Adjuntas, Puerto...
Level Contributor
135 posts
173 reviews
Save Topic
Public transportation after 6pm from downtown SLO

I will be in St Luis Obispo for a couple of days on business and WITHOUT a car. I will be staying along Madonna st and would like to visit downtown after work (around 5:45-6:00pm). Checking the bus schedules I realized that the bus works until 6:20pm or so. Google indicates that it’s a 30 minute walk which will not be a problem on my way to downtown however on my way back I would not like to do this as Im on my own and will be already dark, also google maps specifies that there are areas without sidewalks. So, what option do I have if I want to go back from downtown to Madonna st without car or public transport after 7:30pm? Are taxis easily available?

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public transportation after 6pm from downtown SLO

I doubt taxi's are readily available in downtown SLO, but here's a list of cab companies with reviews you can read up on and call when you're ready to return to your hotel:

http://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=taxis&find_loc=San+Luis+Obispo%2C+CA

BTW- I would re-consider that walk into downtown SLO. Some of that route is a bit sketchy.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public transportation after 6pm from downtown SLO

Hmmm. That link didn't post properly. Will re-try

Edited: 21 March 2014, 15:41
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public transportation after 6pm from downtown SLO

You'll have to copy and paste the link into your browser to get it to come up.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,851 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public transportation after 6pm from downtown SLO

SLO Transit Routes 4 and 5 operate between downtown and Madonna Road.

Route 4 operates weekday evenings between Labor Day and mid-June, roughly matching up with when Cal Poly is in session. The last Route 4 bus leaves downtown at 10:20 PM.

www.slocity.org/publicworks/transit/tripm.asp

The walk is a bit of a hassle, even during the day. I wouldn't call it sketchy per se, but the stretch between the Madonna Inn and Marsh Street can feel a bit isolated at times. FYI, the Google Maps disclaimer about missing sidewalks exists for all walking directions. In this particular case, there are sidewalks the entire way.

Edited: 21 May 2014, 09:12
Level Contributor
7 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public transportation after 6pm from downtown SLO

Davdaven is correct there are sidewalks in all directions too and from the Madonna area to downtown. Most downtown establishments will call a cab for you if needed. I wouldn't say the walk is sketchy at all...maybe the circle k but that's about it.

6. Re: Public transportation after 6pm from downtown SLO

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2015, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about San Luis Obispo