We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay near Cal Poly

SFO,CA
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay near Cal Poly

Any recommendations for a place to stay near the Cal Poly campus?

SFO,CA
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay near Cal Poly

I should mention I am looking for a place that two teenage boys would enjoy ( has a swimming pool).

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
754 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay near Cal Poly

We went for a college visit too and stayed at the H I Express, you probably wont spend much time there anyway, it's inexpensive and its near everything.

san luis obispo
Level Contributor
58 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay near Cal Poly

Ask any college kid at col poly and they would say Avila beach .. try inn at avila beach ..hot springs near by with olympic pool but also ocean right out door ..we have stayed for 5 yrs our son been there ..

Morro Bay...
Level Contributor
815 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay near Cal Poly

There are many places to stay near Cal Poly. Many Hotel booking websites will let you put in a specific olace (such as Cal Poly) and tell you exactly the distance to the various lodgings options.

SFO,CA
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay near Cal Poly

Thanks for your help. I think what we'll do is spend one night in SLO town and a night at Avila or Pismo Beach and then go spend a night in Santa Barbara before heading home.

Morro Bay...
Level Contributor
815 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay near Cal Poly

If you are coming on a weekend, you may run into a two night minimum, especially in season. Also, check for Cal Poly graduation dates as lodging is hard to come by that weekend.

SFO,CA
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay near Cal Poly

Hi Seaspirit-Actually we will be there in just over a week which we found out was also Cal Poly's spring break but oh well. Have to visit when we can. Hopefully my son will get a feeling for the place to determine if it is where he wants to go to college. Everything he has read makes it sound good.

San Luis Obispo...
Level Contributor
240 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay near Cal Poly

Check out the Quality Suites. It's very conveniently located (you can walk to the campus if you want) with pool.

LA
Level Contributor
11 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay near Cal Poly

If your son is still undecided as to whether or not he wants to go to Poly, this is my attempt to make a Mustang out of him. Cal Poly was by far the most enjoyable experience of my life. I have a fondness for SLO and go back several times per year to hang out with friends since graduating in '03. Everyone at Poly is very nice and the city loves the college kids since they drive the economy. The school itself is very reputable and the small class sizes are a great forum in which to learn. I developed many great friendships with professors because they all love the students. There is always an opportunity for getting invloved. There are many fun landmark events throughout the year, from Homecoming to Mardi Gras, Open House to the Beer and Blues festival over memorial day weekend. The town is also awesome with it's great bars, restaurants, farmers market, shopping and overall small town feel. Near to SLO is Pismo and the dunes which are fun to camp at, Lake nacimiento which is very fun over Memorial Day and the wine country. Go to SLO, you won't be sorry!

Southern California
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay near Cal Poly

I'm a Poly grad...your kid won't regret going there. Really good school.

Most of the hotels (not too terribly expensive, like TravelLodge) are located on "hotel row" or Monterey Street near the Grand Avenue entrance to the campus. I do recommend at least one night in Avila at the Sycamore Mineral Springs and Resort. Natural hot tub mineral springs (private) with a large common pool. Teens would love it. On the other side of the same hill is Avila Beach where they can boogey board and hang out.

Do also try to make time for a tour of Hearst Castle in San Simeon. It'll knock your socks off.

Get answers to your questions about San Luis Obispo