We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

route1 - 17 mile drive

Which San Simeon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
tel aviv
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
route1 - 17 mile drive

Hi

I am driving from SF to La via route 1

i have read about the 17 mile drive

Where is it and how do i get to it

Is it worth doing it

Level Contributor
35,022 posts
898 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: route1 - 17 mile drive

17 Mile Drive is gorgeous, yes go! It is in Pebble Beach near Carmel. www.pebblebeach.com is a nice website for this area. You will love this area of the CA coast! :)

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: route1 - 17 mile drive

Many people think (and I'm one of them) that the 17 mile drive is overrate. There is a charge to drive it and most of what you see are big mansions (those that you can see from the road).

Much better place to stop before hitting Big Sur would be Point Lobos State Reserve. There are trails, etc. Search this forum and you'll see various other opinions of 17 mile drive vs. Point Lobos.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,970 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: route1 - 17 mile drive

I agree with Sal. Since you are driving down the coast through Big Sur, any coast you see on the 17 mile drive is a letdown. I would definitely do Point Lobos.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,062 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: route1 - 17 mile drive

17 Mile Drive is a beautiful drive, but there is a charge for the privilege of driving it and you really won't see anything there that won't be upstaged by the drive through the Big Sur coast.

A nice drive along the ocean can be found in Pacific Grove along Ocean View Blvd to Asilomar Beach. The rocky coastline is quite beautiful and the road meanders by the Pacific Grove Municipal Golf Course with the Point Pinos Lighthouse to the back of the links. The road will turn toward town and and end at Forest Ave. A right turn will take you back to Highway 1 southbound, after a nice drive through a forested section of town.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,015 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: route1 - 17 mile drive

Kibbelsmom is psychic, she has read my mind again. ;-)

I think the the drive from Monterey around the point at Pacific Grove to Asilomar/17 mile drive is much prettier than 17 mile drive itself. Plus, it is free and you can stop and walk on the beach just about anywhere.

The high point of 17 mile drive is the golf course and clubhouse. After that you get glimpses of big houses.

6. Re: route1 - 17 mile drive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 22:20