We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good, Reasonable Meals

Ohio
Level Contributor
117 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Good, Reasonable Meals

We are looking for a good, reasonable meal. We are staying in San Simeon for 1 night. We love whole in the wall or mom and pop type local restaurants. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Rhonda

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,255 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good, Reasonable Meals

San Simeon is pretty small and doesn't really have what I would call "Mom & Pop" or "Hole in the Wall" type dining. I've heard good things about Manta Rey, but have never been there myself.

You also have the option of driving a few miles south to Cambria where you'll find some really great dining options: Robin's, Wild Ginger, Old Stone Station, Creekside Gardens, Main Street Grill

Level Contributor
35,264 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good, Reasonable Meals

If you like BBQ'd food, don't miss Main Street Grill. For seafood, go to The Sea Chest on Moonstone Beach Drive in Cambria. No reservations or credit cards are accepted at Sea Chest. Enjoy the coast! :)

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
24,829 posts
5,488 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good, Reasonable Meals

Another thumbs up for Main Street Grill

(but note - both Syrah Girl and Kibblesmom always give excellent advise - so I am sure the others they have mentioned are good too.). I have just added the restaurants they suggested to my list of places to try in the future.

Have a good trip.

Shell Beach...
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
2,912 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good, Reasonable Meals

As Kibblesmom said, San Simeon isn't known for local cuisine. It's a cluster of chain motels along Highway 1 that caters to Hearst Castle visitors. Cambria, just a few minutes to the south, is a real town with a lovely, walkable village center. Robin's is my favorite restaurant there.

Cambria, California
Destination Expert
for San Simeon, Cambria
Level Contributor
470 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good, Reasonable Meals

Before heading down to Cambria, check out the menu at Manta Ray. It's on the east side of Hwy 1 and the building is connected to Quality Inn but not part of the motel. It IS family owned and has early bird specials, and has only about 12 tables. I've never had a bad meal there.

In Cambria, Sea Chest and Wild Ginger are pricey but very good. Main Street Grill is BBQ sandwiches, ribs and salads and attracts a lot of tourists and locals alike. Robin's dinners are mostly curry-based dishes.

Whatever you end up with, enjoy!

Level Contributor
35,264 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good, Reasonable Meals

mini, have you been to Black Cat Bistro? The food is excellent there. We also really like the Sow's Ear Cafe. It's has won awards for Most Romantic Restaurant in SLO county. The salmon in parchment and the chicken fried steak are two specialties there. :)

7. Re: Good, Reasonable Meals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 17:18