We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Hearst Castle worth it if you're European?

Parkgate, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Is Hearst Castle worth it if you're European?

Everyone is saying how amazing this place is but I am wondering if other Europeans think this, especially if you have travelled alot and visited lots of 'houses' in Eurpe and in the UK. What I have heard described makes it seem like it wouldn't be so interesting or awesome.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,377 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Hearst Castle worth it if you're European?

Personally have researched extensively for my sept/oct trip SF/yosemite/KC/LV/ GC/sedona /San D. and then up west coast. we are interested in the big US vistas and things we dont have in the UK. at least not on such a grand scale. Castles and grand houses Ive seen aplenty , . but I expect it is an attraction to those who dont regularly troll around very old palaces in Uk and europe.

It did'nt make my shortlist at all, and looking at the pictures , definately over the top without the history.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Hearst Castle worth it if you're European?

I'm from Europe and did my share of travelling there and also have been to Hearst Castle. You'll find nothing like that in Europe so I'd recommend a visit.

Tet

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,201 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Hearst Castle worth it if you're European?

I'd say that if you have any question then don't bother.

I've seen grand houses/castles/palaces in Europe and I've been to Hearst as well while in the area. I just enjoy that sort of visit. It has its own sort of history which has more to do with the Hollywood crowd of the 20s-30s ish.

IF you don't find it interesting then just enjoy the drive past it!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Hearst Castle worth it if you're European?

Hearst isn't a "castle" in the European sense. I've been to a lot of European castles but still enjoyed Hearst. As Riff M says the history there is a lot different.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,201 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Hearst Castle worth it if you're European?

Technically a "castle" is a fort/fortified building. This is just a grand house.

Parkgate, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Hearst Castle worth it if you're European?

Thanks for your quick responses! I am not expecting so much a castle but more of a stately home. I think the fact that it is such an controlled environment and so expensive, having multiple tours, puts me off. Even Buckingham Palace isn't this expensive!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,201 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Hearst Castle worth it if you're European?

1 tour is plenty. NO need to take multiple ones.

Of course you need to decide how to spend your money and that is an individual judgement you must make yourself.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,675 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Hearst Castle worth it if you're European?

La Cuesta Encantada is not a castle and it's not really a "stately home". It was never a full time residence. Part of what makes it so special is its location. It's part of the Hearst Ranch which is one of the largest private land holdings in California and was much, much larger when Hearst built this house.

Hearst was one of the most powerful men in the US at the turn of the 20th Century and he built this home for his girlfriend, a motion picture star.

What makes the tour so interesting is all the art that Hearst bought in Europe and furnished the home with. There's really nothing else like it.

There are two homes in the US that everyone should visit if they have the chance. Hearst's and the Biltmore Estate in North Carolina.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,675 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Hearst Castle worth it if you're European?

I would do some reading on Heart's Castle on the Internet and see what makes it such a popular attraction.

It isn't just a big house, it is what it took to build it in those days, what it took for a trip to get there from LA and Hollywood, the Marion Davies affair, the goings on in the mansion. It is a fascinating story that makes visiting that much more interesting.

Cambria, California
Destination Expert
for San Simeon, Cambria
Level Contributor
498 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Hearst Castle worth it if you're European?

Adding to the above comments, as someone who works there, I can tell you there are thousands of people from all over the world (including Europe) who come to see the place - the overall impressions are more about the people who were there, the challenges to building, the art treasures that left Europe and were bought by art collectors here in the States, and the man - William Randolph Hearst. This is more about a time in history, a powerful and controversial publisher who enjoyed this home (he called it the ranch, not castle) and the people who were here as his guests - not just motion picture celebrities, but politicians, diplomats (Winston Churchill was one), athletes, writers and more. The grounds are beautiful, so even the gardens and the view from 1600' above the coast are worth it. One tour is fine to get the feel of the place. I, too, have been to many "castles" throughout Europe and found each has its own story and history and sense of place in geography and history, just like this one.