We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 night to Hearst Castle - best route from Gilroy

Which San Simeon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
5 posts
Save Topic
1 night to Hearst Castle - best route from Gilroy

hi...I'm taking my parents to Hearst Castle for one night. We'll be driving from Gilroy and staying one night. What's the best route? should we take I-5 due to time constrictions? Should we take the tour on Saturday afternoon/evening or Sunday morning? Also, I have hotel reservation in San Simeon at the Morgan Hotel; but open to suggestions in Cambria...if it's worth the drive south. Any feedback is appreciated! :)

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,495 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 night to Hearst Castle - best route from Gilroy

Best route ? What does best mean ?

The most scenic route is via 101S to 156W to 1S through Monterey/Carmel and the Big Sur to San Simeon. Cambria has more hotels and better options to stay and I would do the drive leisurely and do Hearst Castle the next day. Are you coming back to SF ? If so you can then get back onto 101 N and drive up

Do look at a map. Maps.google.com can help See where I5 is -- no where near San Simeon

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,046 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 night to Hearst Castle - best route from Gilroy

The quickest route to San Simeon from Gilroy is straight down Highway 101 to Highway 46 West toward Cambria (Do not confuse with Highway 46 East toward Fresno/Bakersfield) to Highway 1 north. Hearst Castle is approx. 12 miles north from the Highway 46/1 junction.

The Morgan is a lousy choice. The photos make it look inviting, but I've read too many negative reviews about this place. Cambria is literally just 5 minutes (If even) from the area of San Simeon where the hotels are located, so wouldn't add that much more time to the drive to/from Hearst Castle.

Cambria is a lovely seaside town nestled in pine trees with a very pretty shoreline. San Simeon is really just two strips of hotels on both sides of Highway 1 to accommodate Hearst Castle visitors. I would go with Cambria. There's a nice wooden path that meanders along the shoreline across from several lovely inns/hotels on Moonstone Beach Drive. If budget is a concern look at Castle Inn or San Simeon Pines Lodge. Both are on Moonstone Beach Drive, but are your budget friendlier options. If those don't fit the bill, there are a few places "in" town that might: Creekside Inn, Cambria Palms and the Bluebird Inn.

If you want to stick with San Simeon, I would opt for the Motel 6 over The Morgan. It used to be a Holiday Inn, so a bit nicer than your typical Motel 6.

San Francisco...
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 night to Hearst Castle - best route from Gilroy

Thanks...yes, I meant to say 101S (not I-5). My parents are very particular about the hotels they stay in, so I can't go the Motel 6 route. They like Bellagio and the Venetian when in Vegas.

San Francisco...
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 night to Hearst Castle - best route from Gilroy

I'll be heading from Gilroy to San Simeon on a Saturday morning. Stay one night. Go back to Gilroy on Sunday to drop off parents. Then head back home to San Francisco Sunday night. It's a quick trip...

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 night to Hearst Castle - best route from Gilroy

If your folks are picky, try the Blue Dolphin Inn in Cambria. Very nice, small and no kids.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,046 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 night to Hearst Castle - best route from Gilroy

Sounds like the El Colibri would fit your parents style. I would also look at Moonstone Landing. Blue Dolphin would be nice, as well.

Since it's your parents, splurge a little bit and book a great place to stay. I wish I had been able to bring my mom back to the coast for one last visit before she passed away, but she wasn't well enough to travel. I say have no regrets. Get a great room. I think the hardest part, though, will be finding a hotel that will allow a one night stay on a weekend night.

7. Re: 1 night to Hearst Castle - best route from Gilroy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2015, 05:17