We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rental car

Fort Smith, Arkansas
Level Contributor
134 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
rental car

hello folks we will be flying into John Wayne Airport on may 17 and need a car for 7 days any ideas on a good rental car company? Also heard some bad reviews of Hotwire where rental cars are concerned any opinions? thanks for helping and yes money is an issue.

12 replies to this topic
Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
19,005 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rental car

I can recommend Hertz.

I haven't heard any negative comments about rental cars available from Hotwire. Usually what I see come up on Hotwire are major rental companies such as Hertz, Enterprise, and Budget. But usually if you find the rate you like there you find the same rate on the company's website where you can make a reservation that can be cancelled without losing money. So Hotwire can be a good resourse to compare rates, but you should reserve through the rental company website, not Hotwire. Check out the specials on the Hertz website, they usually have good ones for airport locations.

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rental car

Within the past year I rented a car, through Hotwire, at SNA and the vender turned out to be Enterprise. I didn't know that until a booked the reservation but everything was straight forward and as promised. Ended up with a Chevy sedan that would seat four. After adding taxes and fees it came to about $18.00/day. A good value, IMO. I only rented it for a couple of days, you may get a better deal on a weekly rental.

SNA is a great place to fly into and rent a car. No need to get on a shuttle bus. Which ever rental company you use the rental car desks are downstairs, near baggage claim, between terminals A and B. Check in, walk across the drive-about and take the elevator down one level. You pick up your car right there and you're on your way.

Edited: 27 April 2011, 11:25
SoCal
Level Contributor
5,657 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rental car

I always book direct with car agencies. I always go with the cheapest, including at SNA and I have never had a problem.

Fort Smith, Arkansas
Level Contributor
134 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rental car

thank ;you all so much for your comments and great advice . i just think it is so nice that yall do this for people. thank ;you.

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rental car

Thanks for the 'y'all'. Years ago, I used to live in Cincinnati and I heard that all of the time--I don't hear it that much here, even if this is the 'South' (of California). It gave me a big smile.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,135 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rental car

Anyone ever rent with Alamo at SNA? I currently am booked with Enterprise through Costco. I have a premium car for 11 days for $215. I see Alamo through Costco is now offering a premium car for $202. We have booked quite a few cars with Enterprise and never had any trouble. I am just wondering if it is worth it to save a few bucks to go with a company I am not familiar with.

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: rental car

Just my experience, of course, but......I spent 40 weeks a year , for 10 years, on the road and I booked mostly with Enterprise and Hertz----can't report any major problems with either. I have also booked through Hotwire (which is "blind" 3rd party booking) and directly with Enterprise. Enterprise has never let me down, so, for that small amount of money, I probably would go with the company I know if I've been happy with them in the past. OTOH, doesn't Enterprise own Alamo? If so, I'd be willing to give them a shot. It seems to me that one of the Hotwire rentals I did at SNA turned out to be Alamo and it worked out well and I was happy with it. The Alamo rep actually gave me an additional discount because I had an Enterprise rewards card. (I can't guarantee that will happen in every cse of course :-) ) Just my Opinion and experience, hope it helps.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,135 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: rental car

remdog...thanks for sharing your experiences. I was going to go for the lower Alamo pricing, but today the prices went up to over $600 at both Alamo and Enterprise. I am happy with my deal. $215 for an 11 day rental in a premium car is a more than fair price. That is a far cry from the $455 I was looking at several months ago, and that was the lowest price I could find for a full-sized car. I also checked out the lodging I had booked in Cambria and saved an additional $110. I had originally booked during their 25% off sale. The day after the sale ended I checked their website and they were offering a stay two nights get one free. Since we were staying three nights, I cancelled my first booking and rebooked. I love a bargain!!! ;-) This trip to CA is looking better and better on the budget. Thanks again!!!

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: rental car

happytraveler: Good on ya' (i think that's the way the Aussies say it except for the 'mate' at the end. Ya done good 'Bubba! (Which is more like I would say it!. LOL.) Sounds like a good trip! What hotel are you staying at in Cambria and Orange County? Cambria is nice and nice people, too. I was driving back to Newport one Sunday from around Pebble Beach. I used to trade commodities and there was a guy in Cambria that I had met on a traders' board much like TA. I called him and he invited me to his home for lunch with his family, which turned out to be terrific. He was a former pro tennis player and surfer from Oz and after lunch he took me all over town , showed me his current tennis club and favorite surfing spots then we went back to his house and spent a couple of hours discussing trading (we were both invested in the Canadian Dollar at the time). Sorry to get nostalgic on ya' but it was a terrific day . Any suggestions I can make for ya' in the Newport Beach area?

Edited: 04 October 2012, 00:15
SoCal
Level Contributor
9 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: rental car

I've always found the best rates at Fox, which operates from a satellite location near the airport. They have generous internet coupon deals, too.

Reply to: rental car
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted