We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Wineries around Santa Barbara

Maui
6 posts
Save Topic
Best Wineries around Santa Barbara

Can anybody recommend some great wineries to visit while I am in Santa Barbara next month? Will also be visiting Solvang and Paso Robles.

Mahalo

Level Contributor
115 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Wineries around Santa Barbara

Here are some suggestions - based on my love of pinot noir!

Byron Vineyard & Winery

5230 Tepusquet Rd

Santa Maria 93454

Santa Barbara County

Cambria Winery & Vineyard

5475 Chardonnay Lane

Santa Maria 93454

Santa Barbara County

Sanford Winery

7250 Santa Rosa Road

Buellton 93427

Santa Barbara County

Wild Horse Winery

1437 Wild Horse Winery Court

Templeton 93465

Paso Robles County

Another one to try, that I couldn't find an address for is Melville - it isn't too far from Sanford, as I recall. Well worth the visit - their wines are excellent!!

Morro Bay...
Level Contributor
809 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Wineries around Santa Barbara

Paso Robles is full of fine wineries. Many are small with limited production but great varieties...others, like Wild Horse are well known and suberb as well. I suggest you pick up a guide of local wineries or go online. I hope you enjoy your visit to the central Coast. I have certainly enjoyed all of my to Hawaii. Mahalo.

Maui
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Wineries around Santa Barbara

Thanks for the suggestions. Those wineries look great. We are going to stay in Santa Barbara one night, Solvang the next and Paso Robles the third.

We are still working on the hotels. If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them, especially in Santa Barbara.

Mahalo

Level Contributor
115 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Wineries around Santa Barbara

I stayed in Santa Barbara at the Inn of the Spanish Garden back in March and thought it was great. I prefer small, intimate kinds of places over larger hotels. This place was convient to the downtown area - within walking distance to all of the shops and restaurants. Speaking of restaurants - you must try a place called "bouchon". It is located on West Victoria Street. Absolutely one of my favoirte places in all of CA! If you love seafood, also try this casual place called something like the Santa Barbara Fishing Company located at the vey end of the Santa Barbara pier. The crab was fabulous and the views were great!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Wineries around Santa Barbara

Fess Parker in Santa Ynez Valley is another great winery... I got the best chard I've ever had there. Another cool place to stay is the Santa Barbara Hotel. It's right on State Street, you can walk to everything and it's pretty reasonable considering what Santa Barbara has to offer, either 5 star resorts of 2 star motels.

Petaluma, California
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Wineries around Santa Barbara

Since you are going to go to Paso Robles, may I put in my two cents worth for wineries to taste at there?

I love Tobin James first and foremost. It is a large western style tasting room complete with dog awaiting you at the front door. Tobin James makes wines from white to zins to dessert. If you like zinfandals at all, ask them to give you a taste of all their varieties.

Very close by is Penman Springs and Clautiere. Penman Springs is owned by wacky Beth and she puts out a food spread like you would not believe. She is so full of energy she and you once again learn alot about wines.

Clautiere sells out of their soft wines every year. They are also wacky with a lavender tasting room where you are asked to wear a neon wig provided to enjoy the wines. If you like one of their wines you must buy it as they sell out quickly.

These are all on the east side of the 101 either on the 46 or just off the 46.

On the west side of the 101 (and you must do both sides becasue the land really provides very different grapes) try Bonnie Doon ( a wide variety and a herb farm) Grey Wolf (renowned red wines) Dunning (for softer red wines - no tannins).

Drive all the way out to Carmody McKnight and Justin for another great trip and tastings.

Enjoy. Oh! There are outstanding restaurants in Paso including Buono Tavoli and Paris. Excellent food.

Level Contributor
184 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Wineries around Santa Barbara

I second the Tobin James!

Paso Robles has a great inn there and it's cheap. But I forgot the name. There are only a few.

Get answers to your questions about Santa Barbara