We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Malibu to Santa Barbara......

Which Santa Barbara hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
672 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Malibu to Santa Barbara......

Just wondering if highway 101 is the only route that will get us to Santa Barbara? I was hoping to drive along the ocean. Is there such a thing as highway 1?

Thanks!!!

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,172 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Malibu to Santa Barbara......

Highway 1 is more or less on the coast through Malibu but then moves away from the coast and you have to join the 101. There is a little bit of on-the coast with pretty views, however. It isn't a long drive so just enjoy the ocean in Malibu and Santa Barbara!

I don't know why I just thought of it, but as you go past a hamlet called Conchita, you can stop envying people who live along there; a couple of years ago there was a terrible collapse of the cliff with several killed. :-(

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,172 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Malibu to Santa Barbara......

I forgot to mention that Highway 1 shows up again farther north around Pismo Beach (I've forgotten just where) and it is the northern part of the road that is most beautiful--especially around Big Sur, which is nearly a half-day drive north of Santa Barbara.

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
211 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Malibu to Santa Barbara......

If you're coming from the LA area, you can join PCH / Highway 1 in Santa Monica. It will take you along the coast and through Malibu. It does have nice views and gets you off the 405/101 which do not have such attractive scenery.

Once you get to Oxnard the PCH will re-join the 101 to continue your journey up to SB. From Malibu it's about a 2 hour drive if you take your time.

As the prior poster mentioned, the famous part of PCH through Big Sur starts at least a 2 - 3 hour journey north of Santa Barbara.

Hope that helps

Paul

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
672 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Malibu to Santa Barbara......

Last year we did San Diego to Santa Monica and this year we're doing Santa Monica to Santa Barbara. Perhaps next year we'll go even further up the coast and will be abe to see the beautiful route then... I'm just wondering what time we should leave Malibu to get to Santa Barbara before rush hour. We will be arriving on a Friday afternoon but we can leave at any time.

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
211 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Malibu to Santa Barbara......

If you leave Santa Monica by 3pm you ought to miss out on most of the traffic incoming to SB.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
672 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Malibu to Santa Barbara......

Thanks very much! One less traffic jam to worry about!!

7. Re: Driving from Malibu to Santa Barbara......

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 21:19