We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santa Barbara from Paso Robles - wineries??

Which Santa Barbara hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
45 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Santa Barbara from Paso Robles - wineries??

We're going down to Santa Barbara the weekend of August 14th. We will be having lunch in Paso and would like to visit no more than two wineries on our way. We'd like recommendations for wineries to visit between Paso and Santa Barbara that meet the following criteria:

- good, if not great wines at reasonable prices

- not too far off the beaton path, since we need to arrive in SB by 4:00-5:00 p.m.

- a tasting fee that becomes either part of the purchase price or comes with free stemware

- no gimmicky name wines, just good quality

Suggestions, please, much appreciated!

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Santa Barbara from Paso Robles - wineries??

Gainey is one of my favorites, $10 tasting fee, but you keep the glass. Setting is beautiful and great wines. It is right off the 154.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Santa Barbara from Paso Robles - wineries??

I like Rideau and Beckmen. I don't think Beckmen has glasses, though. (And if there are wineries up there that take the tasting fee off the price of bottles, plase let me know too!)

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santa Barbara from Paso Robles - wineries??

Lafond Vineyard/Winery is just off the 101 in Buelton. Great wine.. pinot, chardonnay - lovely setting - $5 tasting fee, waved w purchase

Highly recommend this place

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
618 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Santa Barbara from Paso Robles - wineries??

1. Firestone - right off the 101 - good wines - $10 includes glass last time I went there - beautiful tasting room. A cant miss.

2. Sunstone - if you end up taking the 154 into Santa Barbara it fairly close just off the 246 - $10 and $15 flights including the glass - Incredible wines - beautiful tasting room with wine cave - only problem is because of the foregoing factors it tends to be very crowded - my personal favorite!

California
Level Contributor
45 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Santa Barbara from Paso Robles - wineries??

Thanks to all of you who made suggestions. We actually stopped at a couple of wineries around Paso on our way down- Turley and Wild Horse. Both were great, with superb wines and gracious wine staff. We ended up buying a Pesenti Zin and a Whitecoat Rhone style at Turley, and Chardonnay and Cab of Wild Horse's "Unbridled" line. All were delicious.

We wanted to taste around Santa Barbara on the way back, but we ended up having time constraints - next time!

Thanks again!

Roseville...
Level Contributor
319 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Santa Barbara from Paso Robles - wineries??

We were just in the Santa Ynez area last month & visited 6 wineries. Not to miss - Curtis, Firestone, Gainey & Lafond. We also found Kalyra - wine maker from Australia that's making very nice whites.

Curtis was our overall favorite - small Rhone style winery related to the Firestone family. Bought a case of 2004 Cab "Rock Hollow" on close-out for $60. http://www.curtiswinery.com/index.html#

7. Re: Santa Barbara from Paso Robles - wineries??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2010, 05:18