We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking a bus from Sacramento to Santa Barbara.

Which Santa Barbara hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
california
Level Contributor
164 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Taking a bus from Sacramento to Santa Barbara.

I want to go from Auburn to Santa Barbara as cheaply and safely as I can. Amtrack has trains for $150 roundtrip and if I take the bus part of the way, the fare drops to $110 round trip. I worry about making connections between the bus and train since there aren't many trips per day if a connection is missed. Is there a way I can take a bus straight thru from Auburn or Sacramento to Santa Barbara?

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking a bus from Sacramento to Santa Barbara.

I see an Amtrak ride for $56 one way. Isn't that $112 round trip? If you are talking about taking an Amtrak bus as part of the trip, are you aware that those are dedicated buses? Meaning that the connecting train waits for those buses and the buses wait for the train because they are part of the trip.

california
Level Contributor
164 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking a bus from Sacramento to Santa Barbara.

No I didn't know they were dedicated buses. That makes a huge difference to know it would be impossible to miss a connection due to a late arrival - thanks for pointing that out. You're right, the lowest fare is $56 each way, which is $112.

Ventura, California
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking a bus from Sacramento to Santa Barbara.

There probably is but just to let you know, the bus station and the train station in santa barbara are close to each other. less than a half a mile, closer to about 4-6 blocks

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking a bus from Sacramento to Santa Barbara.

Yes, if you book a combination train/bus trip through Amtrak, the connections are guaranteed. That means that the connecting bus or train will wait.

5. Re: Taking a bus from Sacramento to Santa Barbara.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2011, 18:17