We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go with a 10 yr old...fun & inexpensive...

california
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Where to go with a 10 yr old...fun & inexpensive...

Hello TA!!

I live in southern California, and I want to take a weekend mini vacation with my 10 yr old son somewhere within driving distance...

**where do you suggest??

we are looking for somewhere fun, where we can walk around, see some sights, shopping, etc...

**we don't want San Diego or Palm Springs as we have already done these many times**

* I was thinking Santa Barbara or something up the coast, but im not very familiar with these areas and not sure if there is enough to do??

I like the beach to walk around the boardwalk & maybe spend a few hrs in the sun, but we are not looking to be in the beach (sand) all day...

Thanks again for any insight you can give me!!

**Yesi

Laguna Hills...
Level Contributor
342 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go with a 10 yr old...fun & inexpensive...

Santa Barbara is great. You can park right on Stearns Wharf & check out the little aquarium they have there. There's also the mission & I've heard that they have a really good zoo, too. There's tons of shopping & a lot of really good restaurants.

There's also whale watching & all of the same kinds of water activities that we have down here. You could also drive over to Solvang-it's not far from there.

santa barbara
Level Contributor
1,688 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go with a 10 yr old...fun & inexpensive...

Hi yes,

There is SO much for a 10 year old to do here in SB that is not too expensive. If he likes to skateboard, we have a really neat skateboard park right in the beach area and it's free, just bring your gear including helmet.

The zoo, as redlady mentioned, is also a great place for a 10 yr old to spend the day, it even has a giraffe feeding station where you can stand on a platform and feed the giraffes.

The Museum of Natural History is a great place to spend a couple of hours. I think he would really enjoy the planetarium show and the butterfly exhibit that is here just for the summer. If you purchase a "Nature Pass" you will have unlimited admission for 2 consecutive days not only to the Museum but to the Ty Warner Sea Center on the wharf, which has a hands on marine science lab including touch tanks which children and adults love.

I think he would also really enjoy a ride on the Land Shark, an amphibious vehicle that first takes you on a narrated tour of the city and then enters the ocean at the yacht harbor for a tour of the harbor. It is really fun!

You can rent bikes and ride on the beach walk/bike path for miles.

Take a 25cent electric trolley uptown and explore the shops and eat at a fun restaurant.

Last but not least, a couple of hours playing and exploring the West beach area, you can walk quite a ways below the cliffs at low tide and explore the tide pools..

I would recommend staying in a hotel in the West beach area. There are lots of budget friendly hotels and you would be close to the beach and town.

I think you would both have a great time in SB!

3. Re: Where to go with a 10 yr old...fun & inexpensive...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 19:18