We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santa Barbara to San Diego

Which Santa Barbara hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
354 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Santa Barbara to San Diego

we will be leaving Santa Barbara on Friday Nov 11th to go to San Diego. We would like the quickest route bypassing LA. What is the best way to go and what time should we plan on leaving. We are early risers so we don't mind getting in the car early if necessary. Thanks for any ideas!

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
618 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Santa Barbara to San Diego

There is really no way to avoid LA. But fortunately you CAN leave early enough to avoid traffic.

The Most Direct route is the 101 south to the 405 south (which turns into the 5). The main problem with this route is it takes you right past LAX. However, there is a toll road you can take in Orange County which can help you bypass some traffic in Orange County. Taking this route, I have left at 4:45 am and been in San Diego by 8:15 am.

The other way is to take the 101 south to the 134 east to the 5 south which is slightly longer but avoids LAX. Problem is this route skates through the heart of downtown LA. Between the two, I think the first option is better if you leave very early and this option if you leave after say 5:30.

Menifee, California
Level Contributor
539 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Santa Barbara to San Diego

If you absolutely must avoid LA traffic, this route will work, but it takes a while:

101 South to the 134 East to the 210 East to the I-15 South into San Diego. It's at least four and a half hours.

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santa Barbara to San Diego

I once left SB for Anaheim at 3:00 AM, and was stunned (though I shouldn't have been) at what a different world it is at those hours. There were almost no cars. I flew. I mean I drove, but I flew. Who can ever say that about LA traffic?

Edited: 07 November 2011, 17:43
4. Re: Santa Barbara to San Diego

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 November 2012, 06:16