We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which mission?

Which Santa Barbara hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Simpsonville, South...
Level Contributor
31 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
which mission?

We only have time for one --La Purisima or Santa Barbara?

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,237 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which mission?

La Purisima--with the natural landscape and restorations, it gives you a real feeling of what the active missions were like. Santa Barbara of course is surrounded by the city. However, its at least worth a drive by if you're in the city.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,318 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which mission?

If you are short on time, visit the Santa Barbara Mission. It's the "Queen of the Missions" and is still home to a community of Franciscan friars.

La Purisima is further out of your way if traveling Hwy 101 and is a re-constructed mission that is owned by the state of California. It's a fantastic place to visit if you can spare a few hours but it's not an original mission like Santa Barbara is.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,308 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which mission?

I too would prefer a visit to the Santa Barbara Mission. The city itself is worth a visit and an overnight stay if possible.

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
618 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which mission?

I would vote for Santa Barbara as it is grander and more interesting.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which mission?

<<it's not an original mission like Santa Barbara is.>>

All of the Missions have been reconstructed as the Mexican government and then US government didn't maintain them and allowed to the adobe to erode. The first rebuilding efforts were begun (I believe) in the 1950s.

I think the answer depends on how you like your Missions :)

Santa Barbara is in a lovely spot and the Mission is beautiful. But it is surrounded by the town. La Purisima is in a more remote location so you get more of a feel for what Mission life was like. (It is one of three run by the State of California ... the rest are still used as churches.)

So. Cal
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which mission?

***I would vote for Santa Barbara as it is grander and more interesting.***

Ditto.

To me, La Purisma is underwhelming. If you're in the area and want to stretch your legs, walk around in dirt and use your imagination then it's fine. I wouldn't go out of my way to visit.

7. Re: which mission?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 20:41