We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cali trip without a car.....

Memphis, Tennessee
2 posts
Save Topic
Cali trip without a car.....

My husband and I want to plan a trip to The best California city to navigate w/o a car. We are interested in good food, wine tasting, the beach and nightlife. What cities are recommend and what area in those cities will offer us the best walking/ bike riding access to everything. We aren't opposed to day trips if there is a travel option other than renting a car. Thanks for any help!

Santa Barbara Adventure Company
Bike Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing, Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing, Wine Tours & Tastings
Santa Barbara Classic Wine Tours
Food Tours, Wineries & Vineyards, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
54,240 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cali trip without a car.....

Cali ? what and where is Cali ? Best California city ?

Perhaps some homework and reading will help. Please go to the California forum and read the top questions which cover what to do and see in Ca, which areas in CA to visit. It is a HUGE State so there are plenty of cities one can visit.

It is easier to use Public transport in San Diego, LA, San Francisco -- walking biking is better in smaller towns. What do you want to do and see. based on what you want to do and see, perhaps San diego would be better for you with beaches and nightlife.

Edited: 14 March 2013, 22:47
Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,968 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cali trip without a car.....

For a second I though the post was in the wrong forum......

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cali trip without a car.....

OK, the Amtrak Pacific Surfliner has a few trips a day to Santa Barbara that goes southbound to the places like Downtown Los Angeles/Hollywood, Anaheim, San Clemente, Oceanside and San Diego.

That is the best Public Transit option. Once you get to the stop you want, ask for better details at that specific city forum.

http://www.amtrak.com/pacific-surfliner-train

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
18,110 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cali trip without a car.....

>>The best California city to navigate w/o a car..<<

San Francisco! It's compact, with public transit reaching every area. But no beaches, sorry.

(Just so you know, Cali is not a traditionally recognized abbreviation for California.....)

Level Contributor
54 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cali trip without a car.....

Santa Barbara is a great stop, Amtrak has a station right down town and there's a 50 cent trolly that runs up state street. You'll have to book a wine tour or do the urban wine trail through the city of SB as there isn't any public transport to the valley. The beach is nice and within walking distance from most places around downtown and the nightlife is great. There are also bike paths and places to rent bikes all over. The Amtrak runs from San Diego to San Francisco and I agree that San Fran is a great place without a car as Bart goes everywhere. But for wine tasting make a stop for a few days in SB. Try ABC/Margerum/Gracini Family(all in the same building) and Jaffers for great Syrah.

Have a great trip,

Abe and Autumn

www.asquaredadventures.com

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cali trip without a car.....

Note the Amtrak to San Francisco from Santa Barbara only runs once per day, so doesn't work for a day trip, you will have to head south to Southern California. (There is an short trip going North to the final station in San Luis Obispo as an option, but still doesn't get near the San Francisco Bay Area). Check the link I provided above for a map, and then check the timetable for the Pacific Surfliner, as many of the trains only go as far north as Los Angeles (Union Station).

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
54,240 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cali trip without a car.....

I am confused now. Unless one had a private jet or a helio, I don't think Anyone would suggest coming to San Francisco by car for a day trip.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,559 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cali trip without a car.....

San Francisco.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cali trip without a car.....

Post 5 suggested it, and why I stated visiting San Francisco using Public Transit from Santa Barbara doesn't work.

Edited: 15 March 2013, 01:18
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
54,240 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cali trip without a car.....

Post 5 said

>>>>The Amtrak runs from San Diego to San Francisco and I agree that San Fran is a great place without a car as Bart goes everywhere

To the OP -- I don't think the post suggested that one should make a day trip to SF from SB. I think the poster said that BART the local train goes everywhere. Between BART and Muni which is what you would use in SF, you can get around. Biking and walking are great for parts of the city but it is cold at our Beaches most times in the year.

Edited: 15 March 2013, 01:21