We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would it suit family of 4 on a special holiday?

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
190 posts
180 reviews
Save Topic
Would it suit family of 4 on a special holiday?

We are considering Los Angeles and Santa Barbara for what may be our last family holiday, girls are 21/18 and this year the oldies will also be celebrating significant birthdays. We have been to LA before and are looking at places to go after LA. SB looks as if it may hit the spot, we enjoy sightseeing, hiking, shopping, museums, kayaking, bit of horseriding, etc. What do the experts think? Would SB hit the spot and have you any wee gems of wisdom which you think we should not miss? it is between SB and San Diego which we visited about twelve years ago so are keen to go somewhere new? thanks in advance for your help. We will have a car so are flexible with travel and are willing to do day trips from SB to other places of interest.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,507 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Would it suit family of 4 on a special holiday?

IF you've been to LA before why not try San Francisco this time??

You could spend time in the city and then maybe stay in Monterey or Lake Tahoe for a few days for some of your more outdoorsy activities . It certainly hits sightseeing, hiking, museums, shopping etc.

Edited: 04 January 2014, 18:44
Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
18,122 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Would it suit family of 4 on a special holiday?

Santa Barbara is lovely. It's also nice if your daughters would like a day or two in LA, because you can come back here before you head back home (assuming you fly out of LAX).

If you choose Santa Barbara, be sure to stay there for a Sunday. There are many artists who live in the region and the city supports their artist community by hosting a weekly, beachfront arts and crafts sale near the wharf. Really good stuff, especially the windchimes! A sweet little day trip from Santa Barbara is Solvang, where Danes settled (excellent pastries, as you can imagine). Lots of people think it's touristy, but I find it charming.

http://www.solvangusa.com/

If you decide to spend any time in LA, I highly recommend Santa Monica. Your 18 and 21 year olds will love the 3rd St. Promenade.

Happy planning!.

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
190 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Would it suit family of 4 on a special holiday?

I should have said we have been to San Fran before, we have done LA, San Diego, Lake Tahoe, Yosemite Las Vegas, Byrce! Zion! Grand Canyon etc over the past few years. We went to LA many years ago & have thought we would like to go there again. the girls were very young the last time and we got our hand luggage stolen first time round which marred the experience considerably. We thought LA for shopping, the parks and taking in all the Hollywood stuff etc followed by SB for the chill out bit with the more sporty activities etc , then drive back to LA to have a few more days before flying back home. We are planning about 17/18 nights. The popular choice is flying into LA k than heading from there.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,314 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Would it suit family of 4 on a special holiday?

I love Santa Barbara - it's quiet, gorgeous, and great for hiking etc. I would also recommend looking into Laguna Beach, it's a fantastic place for teenagers.

Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,315 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Would it suit family of 4 on a special holiday?

I love Santa Barbara too. We were just there 3 days 2 nights. We had a great time on State Street and along the ocean. I always enjoy Laguna as well.

Edited: 07 January 2014, 03:29
Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Would it suit family of 4 on a special holiday?

Santa Barbara is a great place to visit. But if you haven't been, Big Sur is especially enchanting. The logistics may be an issue.

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Would it suit family of 4 on a special holiday?

Santa Barbara is a great place to visit. But if you haven't been, Big Sur is especially enchanting. The logistics may be an issue.

8. Re: Would it suit family of 4 on a special holiday?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2015, 05:20