We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The World Cup comes to Santa Barbara...

Which Santa Barbara hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
17,141 posts
255 reviews
Save Topic
The World Cup comes to Santa Barbara...

Reviewing an old thread I see The Santa Barbara Brewing Co and Dargans Irish Pub & Restaurant are two places where World Cup football (soccer) matches may be screened. Is this still the case? Where else in addition?

Incidentally, I know soccer has a growing popularity in the U.S. and, if the 2012 European Championships were anything to go by the coverage of this year's World Cup will be pretty strong. Do you expect games (most games? all games?) to be shown on the TV channels that one would expect to get in a middle-of-the-road hotel's rooms?

Thank you.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The World Cup comes to Santa Barbara...

According to this:

sbnation.com/soccer/2014/2/24/5443274/world-…

All 64 games will be broadcast on ABC, ESPN or ESPN2. The former will be in every hotel room in the US, that's pretty much guaranteed. ESPN, and ESPN2 moreso, will be more hit and miss if hotels have those channels, or not.

Details about which games are on which of the above channels can be found at that link. The start times listed, I am not sure which time zone that would be, but I would assume eastern which is 3 hours ahead of us on the west coast, so probably subtract 3 hours from those times if you will be in California.

Edited: 06 March 2014, 18:06
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The World Cup comes to Santa Barbara...

Almost every Hotel I have been at lately has the main ESPN channel, and many (but not all) have ESPN2.

Most games on ABC will be weekend games, with ESPN and ESPN 2 covering the weekday games, and some weekend games. Also, the main games on ESPN2 will be the last games of the first round, when 2 games are played at the same time.

So you should have no problem watching the games at most restaurants and bars, and Hotel/Motel rooms.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,141 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The World Cup comes to Santa Barbara...

Thank you, both. Only looking at the England games it seems those times are all thirty minutes prior to kick-off which feels a little bit of an odd way to publish. But, anyway, it's the broadcaster information that helps me. So thank you.

I would still choose to watch in a bar rather than my hotel room, though.

Edited: 06 March 2014, 18:27
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The World Cup comes to Santa Barbara...

The World Cup games start exactly at the top of the hour, so for the Broadcasters to get their ads and pre-show in, they start 30 minutes prior. As a long term Soccer fan, I remember decades ago when the US would actually place commercials during the game, which was very frustrating.

Now, we get commercial free games. What is now found in almost every American Sports broadcast now started with soccer, the "Bug" which is a graphic that shows the score and time in one part of the screen, and was sponsored, so an advertiser could have some air time during the match.

So lets say the schedule broadcast is 11:30 AM to 2 PM, that means the game would start at Noon, and end around 1:45 PM, and give the broadcaster some after game time to run more commercials.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,141 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The World Cup comes to Santa Barbara...

Just seems a strange way to publish the details to me.

It can't possibly be that every broadcast, spread across three different channels and a month of time, will start thirty minutes prior to kick-off. So it must just be that website (or whatever source they are using) is choosing thirty minutes as a blanket time to publish. So why not just publish the kick-off times? Which would be the right thing to do, anyway.

Just seems strange.

I am eternally grateful not to have been watching football in your country all those decades ago. The ads would have driven me insane. As would, probably, seeing a past it Pele and Bobby Moore still looking far to good to be there. How times have changed. How envious I am you've now got two of my team's all-time greats - Robbie Keane and Jermain Defoe - playing on your side of the Pond.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The World Cup comes to Santa Barbara...

Glad that Robbie Keane just signed a multi-year extension with the LA Galaxy (My favorite MLS Team).

As for American Broadcasting, we are just strange.

Sports like Hockey, Baseball and Basketball have starts times like 7:07 PM, 6:40 PM, etc. This give the Broadcaster a few minutes to sell ads before the game. It is the American tradition to advertise the start of the "show" and not the actual match. (aka the broadcasters want you to tune in early to watch the ads ;) Just one of those things you find in the US and Canada.....

So Cal
Level Contributor
8,479 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The World Cup comes to Santa Barbara...

LDN, my Doctor Who dvd's have British commercials in the extras and promos, and I've noticed they often have things like "Saturday 6:45", "Monday 6:15" etc. American tv just doesn't run that way - 95% of programs (whatever kind) start on the hour or half-hour. Stations really don't give any leeway at all.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,141 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The World Cup comes to Santa Barbara...

I think maybe that's the difference. Our broadcasters see extra time in the schedule as an opportunity to add more shows. Yours see it as an opportunity to show more ads. Maybe.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The World Cup comes to Santa Barbara...

Well, yes, first off, you pay the government for the BBC channels, which we don't. (But on the other hand, most Americans pay for Cable, Satellite or similar services to get ads....)

But a key thing in North American are the "Nielsen" ratings, which are based by the "show" and based on 30 minute blocks.

But yes, the thing is to check the TV listings and then the sports schedules to verify when the match actually starts.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,141 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The World Cup comes to Santa Barbara...

I'm English. The fixtures (and their kick-off times) are ingrained. It's World Cup year, baby!