We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Magic Mountain or Knotts

Which Santa Clarita hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
el paso,tx
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Magic Mountain or Knotts

Ok, I need some help! I'm planning on taking my three sons, 16,13,12 on vacation to Southern California. We have most of the trip scheduled with one day left and we're looking at either Magic Mountain or Knotts Berry Farm. The oldest loves rollercoasters, the two younger ones aren't sure if they do or don't (dont you love kids!). We did Six Flags in San Antonio and they loved it. Any opinions/Help?

Thanks.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
14,605 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Magic Mountain or Knotts

With kids your age Magic Mountain all the way. It's a huge park with plenty of things to do for all iof them

Take the 12 year old on a tame rollercoaster(like Goldrusher) and "graduate" him from there to the bigger rides

Knotts went somehow downhill in the past years, it's character really changed a lot since Cedar Fair owned it.

Magic Mountain is a lot bigger then the San Antonio park, so keep that in mind aswell

It really comes down on where you are staying, if you are in Anaheim, Knotts is only 15 minutes from Disneyland while Magic Mountain over an hour.

If you stay in the central(hollywood e.t.c.) L.A.area, Magic Mountain would be a lot closer(40 minutes)

Bridgnorth, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Magic Mountain or Knotts

I am going to Six Flags with my 14-year-old son in late August and we are also going to Knotts (we just love roller coasters).

We will be driving up from San Diego. We have any early start and will not have a chance to get to know the area beforehand.

Two items I need help with:

1/ is there any way to avoid the ludicrous parking charge? Can you park locally and get a bus or tram to Six Flags?

2/ Where can we get breakfast before going into Six Falgs? From reading other reviews the food in there is expensive and I'm thinking it might be batter to 'fill up' and then snack all day.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
14,605 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Magic Mountain or Knotts

There is no other place to park at Six Flags, so you have to pay the parking (some might suggest that you can park down the street by the restaurants/fast food stores but they tow, so it will not be worth it)

There are fast food outlets and some casual restaurants just after you exit Magic Mountain parkway. You could eat there if you like

Also one exit before Magic Mountain(newhall pass), you find about 30 fast food restaurants: From sit down like Denny's to Mc D, Burger King, Taco Bell and any other chain you can think off

Santa Clarita...
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Magic Mountain or Knotts

After driving from San Diego and through Los Angeles traffic for three hours, and maybe more, you may be happy to pay the $15. Other than staying at a hotel, there is no convenient public parking and/or it will eat up your day. It will be a very long and tiring day!

There are restaurants (and fast food) at the bottom of the hill before the entrance to Magic Mountain, and there are restaurants at Lyons/Pico Canyon, 3 off ramps on the I-5 before MM. (Denny's, CoCo's, McDonalds) Turn left and crossover the freeway, and left on The Old Road. Signs are visible from the freeway. From there, you can continue about 3 miles north to MM on The Old Road.

It will be very warm (hot)the end of August; drink plenty of fluids and later in the day you may want go in the restaurant, eat, and cool down.

Bridgnorth, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Magic Mountain or Knotts

Hello Alex90028 & Mere - thanks for the great advice on local places to eat - it sounds like we will have plenty of choice early that morning.

We will park at MM - as you say it would add to an already long and tiring day otherwise.

What time would you recommend queuing at the gates to get into MM? I have read that everyone makes a b-line for the top rides as soon as they open.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
14,605 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Magic Mountain or Knotts

Park usually opens at 10.30am, so to be at the gate around 10am. There will be a pre show and countdown which is kinda fun before the park opens with all the characters(Batman, Duffy Duck e.t.c.), so well worth to get there early

On what to hit first is hard to predict at this moment as the park will open there new Terminator coaster on memorial weekend, so this will be a HUGE draw.

The coaster is located in the back of the park, so usually I would say to do the coasters in the back first(it is a huge park) and work yourself to the front. But with terminator opening I guess everyone will be running to the back first and two of the major coasters that you have to do, X2 and Tatsu are in the front.

So my gameplan would be to run towards X2 first(most popular ride in the park), Tatsu afterwards and go clockwise from there. Next would be terminator, riddlers revenge e.t.c. Try to check the parkmap at www.sixflags.com/magicmountain , so you can get an idea of the layout of the park before going

As mentioned before, it is a big park. About 200 acres compared to 60 something that is Disneyland. It is nothing like the San Antonio Park.

You might want to think about spending a night in Valencia, there are plenty of nice motels just outside the park(info is also on the magic mountain website)

Think about it, you are driving 3 hours from San Diego to the park, spent at leat 10 hours at the park(which will be fun, but also hot as hell and exhausting), do you really want to drive afterwards another 3 hours back to SD?

You are on vacation, probably can get a cool spot to rest for the night just outside the park(maybe $60), make it a great day without having to worry on how to get home. Have a good night sleep and drive rested back to SD the next day

Bridgnorth, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Magic Mountain or Knotts

Can I just say a great big thank you to Alex90028 for his advice.

We made an early start and got to Six Flags MM in plenty of time to eat the sandwiches/snacks/drinks that we took with us in the car before we entered the park. Then, for the rest of the day we bought food & drinks as we needed them - deciding that if we had travelled that far and spent that much money - then why skimp and just end up being thirsty and uncomfortable all day.

And rather than drive back to San Diego we booked a room at the local Holiday Inn Express, which is literally five minutes drive from the park. The room was excellent and included breakfast. There was also a pool and hot tub. Apparently the Freeway was very busy the night we stayed in Valencia so we would have had a nightmare journey back. Instead we had a long, but safe and relaxing drive the next day back to SD.

Thanks again!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
14,605 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Magic Mountain or Knotts

Your welcome! How did you like the park one might ask?

Bridgnorth, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Magic Mountain or Knotts

The main thread of this topic is the comparison between Six Flags Magic Mountain and Knott’s Berry Farm theme parks. We did both on our recent trip to the area so I will try to compare the two.

Magic Mountain is by far the best for roller coasters and, although it tries to cater for younger visitors, the majority of people there are teenagers and older. The big pull of the park is the wealth of extreme rides on offer. There are smaller rides and attractions but not enough for a young family. It is also a huge park and with the heat many younger visitors would get very tired and exhausted very quickly.

I went in late August with my 14-year-old son and we had a great time. I would recommend that if anyone goes with intention of waiting outside while other members of the party go on rides – then DON’T. There is no way of knowing how long it will take to get on a ride and a non-rider could be sitting around for ages.

We made sure that everything we had could be put into zipped or buttoned pockets. That way we avoided using the lockers, which are $1 a time to use. They open automatically after 120 minutes so you cannot use one locker all day.

Knott’s Berry Farm is far more family friendly. After visiting there I said to my wife (who didn’t go there with us) that we would have taken our kids there when they were younger. They would have really enjoyed it. It has lots of attractions and rides for youngsters. It also has shows which are indoors – so they provide an excellent opportunity to escape from the heat and the walking.

The park seems to be divided into two areas with the roller coasters in one area and the attractions for youngsters in another. The park is no where near as big as Magic Mountain, which is less tiring for youngsters.

It does have some good roller coasters and is worth a visit – but we struggled to fill a full day. The queues were shorter and you could put your belongings into a pigeonhole as you boarded each ride. We used a locker (quite spacious) at the front of the park. It was $7 for all day with a refundable $5 deposit for the key.

Prices for food and drinks seemed to be about the same in both parks so take plenty of cash. There are plenty of fast food outlets near Knott’s Berry Farm so I would recommend getting a good breakfast before going to the park. Magic Mountain has a limited number of fast food outlets nearby and they are 1 junction south on the interstate.

Travel light, take plenty of cash, drink lots of water or soda throughout the day and have fun.

10. Re: Magic Mountain or Knotts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2010, 05:18