We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Non-beach weekend visit help - Aug. 17

Which Santa Cruz hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
135 posts
142 reviews
Save Topic
Non-beach weekend visit help - Aug. 17

I have been invited to a family event (100th birthday) in Santa Cruz on Saturday, August 17th. In doing brief research, I realize traveling to Santa Cruz on a weekend in August is equivalent to visiting Phoenix in season - ridiculously expensive! Originally I figured on flying in to Monterey and staying there, but it's Car Week - not an option. So, next option is to fly into San Jose and drive down from there.

Is it possible to find an affordable place to stay, NOT near the beach or boardwalk. The celebration is being help at Chaminade (but at $300 a nite, I really don't want to stay there.)

I usually try to stay at Marriott, but the only close property is the Fairfield Inn Capitola at a whopping $309 per night. Not looking for luxury, but don't want a total dump either.

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,603 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Non-beach weekend visit help - Aug. 17

Hi,

I am out of town tonight and on a first generation IPad. Yuck. When I get home tomorrow I think I can give you some help, or at least choices at a somewhat reasonable price. You will enjoy the Chaminade for the celebration but you would not want to stay there.

See you tomorrow, but since we have a long drive ahead of us it will probably be evening.PST.

Edited: 28 July 2013, 03:30
Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
135 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Non-beach weekend visit help - Aug. 17

Thanks so much, Puter. Safe travels & I shall await your reply.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,603 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Non-beach weekend visit help - Aug. 17

Wow, that is a tough one. Evidently Car Week attendees are filling up the Monterey area and spilling over into Santa Cruz.

Most of my usual suspects are full, and those which aren't are well over $200.

I looked at over 20 of them, including Aptos and Capitola and even the beach area in Santa Cruz, and a couple of bed and breakfast places.

The least expensive prices I can find are the Comfort Inn, the Best Western Inn and the National 9, all on Plymouth Street near the intersection of Hwy 1 and Ocean Street in Santa Cruz.

The Comfort Inn says $209, the Best Western $234 and the National 9 $219. There is tax on top of this.

If you should choose from these I would recommend the Comfort Inn. We put family up there when we have an overflow on holidays, and it is fine. They are around a space off the street. There is a pool and breakfast. I would not wait, however, they seem to be going fast.

comfortinn.com/hotel-santa_cruz-california-C…

If you should google either this or the Best Western be aware that they each have two locations. You want the Plymouth Street address, not the Boardwalk (those are full anyway).

I tried Watsonville, thinking you could fly into Monterey (only an hour from Santa Cruz), but even the Motel 6 there is full.

OH, there is one more on my list. The Sunset Inn showed a vacancy at $219. This is on Mission Street (Hwy 1) in the north part of town.

The Plymouth Street locations are 3 1/2 miles from Chaminade.

(Is there a family member you could share a motel room with?)

Good luck, if you think of anything else I can do or find out for you, please let me know.

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
135 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Non-beach weekend visit help - Aug. 17

Thanks for your very complete and informative post, Puter. You encountered the same thing I did when checking properties - there is minimal availability! Btw, I am already sharing a room with a family member, my hubby. Might get a bit cozy with anyone else ;)

We've actually driven up to Santa Cruz during the off season from Monterey several times ... Monterey/Carmel is one of our favorite areas. We were married at Forge in the Forest January 2006 and my avatar photo is in front of Point Pinos Lighthouse (Pacific Grove) taken this past January. I figured summer was peak season for the area, but had no idea it would be so difficult to find reasonably priced accommodations. I guess the Car Week attendance has overflowed to outlying areas.

I'll check out the places you mentioned. We may just end up using Marriott Points and stay at the Fairfield Inn Capitola. That area seems less congested and a bit lower key than Santa Cruz proper.

I truly appreciate the time you took to check out options and I'll let you know what we decide.

Welcome home!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,603 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Non-beach weekend visit help - Aug. 17

I don't know why I assumed you were traveling as a single.:~)

Anyway, the Fairfield Inn and Suites is a very new property and very nice, and if you can use your points there, I would go for it. But I just checked the website because I wanted to see it again, and when I put in your dates, it said 'no vacancy''???

Does that apply to 'points people'? Or did you get the last room? <grin>.

Edited: 28 July 2013, 23:32
Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
119 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Non-beach weekend visit help - Aug. 17

Not sure of availability but you may want to try Adobe On Green Steet - I live in Santa Cruz and have actually stayed here and liked it very much. Good luck, I know it's pricey here in the summer.

http://www.adobeongreen.com/rooms.html

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,603 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Non-beach weekend visit help - Aug. 17

I tried Adobe on Green. They only have four rooms and are full.

Edited: 29 July 2013, 00:44
Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
135 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Non-beach weekend visit help - Aug. 17

Thanks for the suggestion, Eileencat but as Puter mentioned, Adobe on Green as well as most of the area's B & B's are booked. We enjoy staying at B & B's but some of them book way in advance.

Since I was only referring to singular in my original post, I can certainly understand why you presumed I was traveling solo, Puter. No worries! What booking site were you looking at regarding available rooms at the Fairfield? I just looked on Marriott.com and found a Junior King Suite for $309 or points, and a Junior King Whirlpool Suite for $329 (not a point option.) There is no option for only a one night stay, so if you put in only Aug 17th to Aug 18th, then it won't give any rooms open but two nights works. We've decided to make a weekend out of it and stay two nights.

So, any recommendations for good restaurants in Capitola for Friday night?

Thanks again,

Sharon

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,603 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Non-beach weekend visit help - Aug. 17

sandnsun,

I don't use booking sites, I go directly to the hotels/motels, because they do not usually release ALL of their rooms to the third party bookers. The website of the local Fairfield Inn said it was full for your date, but I did not see the usual "two night minimum" message.

This is, as I said, a new, nice property, on a busy four lane main street, 41st Avenue, not in Capitola Village, but that should not be bothersome at all.

Our favorite restaurant in Capitola is Shadowbrook. It is historical and on a hill overlooking Soquel Creek. We took a friend there last week and the food was outstanding. You want a window table. You definitely need reservations.

www.shadowbrook-capitola.com/home/home.php

Capitola, on the Esplanade, has several good restaurants. We do not usually eat there, but there is one we like which specializes in interesting small plates, which may or may not interest you. In case, it is the Stockton Bridge Grill, just on the village side of said bridge which crosses the creek.

Have a very nice weekend. I will hope for good weather. August is usually excellent.

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
135 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Non-beach weekend visit help - Aug. 17

As you mentioned, Puter, I do not use third party booking sites. Always best to book direct!

Interestingly, I did not get a "two night minimum" message on Marriott.com either. I surmised there is a 2 nite stay requirement on the weekend since I couldn't get availability based on a one night stay. I encountered the same issue for several other properties as well ... when I entered a one night stay for Saturday 8/17, there was no vacancy. Upon changing it to two nights, Friday 8/16 & Saturday 8/17, I got a few rooms to show up.

Shadowbrook looks awesome! Love the idea of the cable car - how quaint! I'll definitely book reservations with my Open Table account.

Your wish for good weather during our stay is appreciated. Honestly, just being out of the unbearable heat of Phoenix will be a welcome change. You've been so helpful and informative. Again, many thanks for all your time and effort.

Sharon