We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monarch Butterflies

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,617 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Monarch Butterflies

Have you been to Natural Bridges beach and park in Santa Cruz in the Monarch butterfly wintering season, and seen the amazing sight of clusters of orange and black wings hanging from the eucalyptus trees? This story about the challenges to the Monarchs in Mexico and potentially in the US should interest you.

deseretnews.com/article/…

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
19,721 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monarch Butterflies

We were there a few week ago... (see TR with a photo of the clusters a few posts up.) Their numbers were not as great as I had seen before but I wasn't sure if we were visiting during the peak.

We were wondering if the SC population is the same as the Mexican ones and concluded they are not. The signs say the ones on SC go to the Sierras over the summer.

Regardless, it would be sad if we lost these. They had the milkweed on display. I think Ardenwood Gardens at Fremont has these plants and are trying to attract them.

Edited: 29 January 2014, 18:14
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,069 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monarch Butterflies

The grove at Natural Bridges in Santa Cruz is the only state-recognized Monarch butterfly sanctuary. in California. I, too, think there are less of them this year than in some former years, but they are still fascinating. The Visitor's Center at the park has a very informative display about them.

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,386 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monarch Butterflies

Ardenwood Farm in Fremont http://www.ebparks.org/parks/ardenwood has a colony of Monarchs... most years we have several thousand...nearing 10,000, but this year after a promising start they dissipated early...

Randy

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
29 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monarch Butterflies

We were there last week and saw large clumps of butterflies hanging from the trees, with the occasional "burst" when a bird flew in to disturb them. There was a docent/park volunteer who was extremely knowledgeable and enthusiastic. It's a lovely little spot.

5. Re: Monarch Butterflies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2015, 05:20