We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Santa Cruz and San Francisco for a Few Days

Which Santa Cruz hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
East Lansing...
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Staying in Santa Cruz and San Francisco for a Few Days

I'm a college student (22yrs) going to a conference from April 17-20th at Stanford. After that I have a buddy who lives in Santa Cruz that I am going to hang out with for another day or two. I want to book my flight right now but I want to know if I should stay for 1 or 2 days extra. Basically I love beaches (with big waves) although I have never surfed but would like to try it out. I'm a pretty nature loving guy so I'll probably stick to the coast for the majority of the time I'm there. I'm not even sure if it is worth surfing? Wouldn't I need a wet suit?

I have a few questions, should I stay near SF in a motel and take a train down to Santa Cruz? Is that too far of a train ride? Or should I stay in Santa Cruz near my friend and then take a train back up to SF? What beaches in Santa Cruz have the biggest waves during April, if any?

I'm gonna be by myself majority of the trip and have to bring my carry on along with me most likely for a majority of the time. I'd also need a way of transportation to the airport in San Fran.

Thanks.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,745 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Santa Cruz and San Francisco for a Few Days

Sorry, there are no trains to Santa Cruz. To get here from San Francisco or Palo Alto without a car you would need to take CalTrain to the Diridon Station in San Jose and then the Hwy 17 Express bus over the hill.

If you have a friend who lives here, he would be the best source of information on how to do what you plan.

There are big waves here, pretty much year round, but if you have never surfed before, you would not be welcome at the most popular surf spots. Surfers are pretty territorial and not friendly to amateurs. If you want to take a lesson or two, there are surf schools here, but, yes, you would need a wet suit probably. The water is cold, but I am pretty sure that if you buy some lessons they would provide a wet suit if needed.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Santa Cruz and San Francisco for a Few Days

Average water temp in Santa Cruz in April is mid50sF. That is *very* cold.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,745 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in Santa Cruz and San Francisco for a Few Days

>>Average water temp in Santa Cruz in April is mid50sF. That is *very* cold.<<

You are correct. That us why I stay out of it, but my grandchidren don't seem to mind at all. :~)

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
22,177 posts
5,167 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in Santa Cruz and San Francisco for a Few Days

I am sure with Lansing weather being 18 degrees today, 50 and above sounds like summer!

(Yes - its ok to laugh at us Californians who think that 50 degrees is very cold - we are spoiled and its great to go out. ..just realize we do take a sweater or light jacket with us....but nothing like you need in Lansing.

Since your friend is in Santa Cruz, you might want to spend more time there - but its up to you. Either place is fun to go to so its sort of a personal decision where you want to stay....

For getting back to SFO, there is a bus over the mountains from Santa Cruz to Amtrak station. This is also where the Cal Train station is. You can then use that to get up to San Francisco.

scmtd.com/routes/schedules/systemschedule/17

http://www.caltrain.com/

You want to get off at the Millbrae Station.

and then take the Sam Train bus from there.

http://www.flysfo.com/to-from/public-transit

If you have not already booked your flights, you could also look at flying in and out of San Jose Airport as closer to Santa Cruz.

In terms of beaches, the surfers enjoy Santa Cruz City area, wind surfers generally are a bit further north at Waddle Beach

www.yelp.com/biz/waddell-beach-davenport-2

Just wanted to provide how to get from Santa Cruz to the airport....

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
628 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in Santa Cruz and San Francisco for a Few Days

I think they were talking about water temp not outdoor temp but anyway-

I encourage you to check out Santa Cruz for a few days. There is lots of surf and plenty of big waves but as Puter mentioned you would not be welcome at the big wave spots nor would you want any part of that if you are just learning. Rent a board (wetsuit included) at Cowells or even better take a lesson and then have some fun for a few hours on your own. There is lots to do in the way of outdoors here as well.

The main challenge will be transportation. Hopefully you can explore the other ideas posted and come up with a plan that is not too complicated.

have fun!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in Santa Cruz and San Francisco for a Few Days

<<I think they were talking about water temp not outdoor temp>>

Yes, mini is easily confused.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying in Santa Cruz and San Francisco for a Few Days

Since you are an outdoorsy kind of person you will love Santa Cruz. Great mt. biking and hiking in the hills just above town, plus the coast. You'll want to spend a few extra days if you can.

East Lansing...
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying in Santa Cruz and San Francisco for a Few Days

Thanks for all the info guys, I appreciate it.

9. Re: Staying in Santa Cruz and San Francisco for a Few Days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2015, 06:21