We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Francisco to Santa Cruz and return

canberra
Level Contributor
100 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
San Francisco to Santa Cruz and return

Does this sound like a reasonable plan. Midweek in August pick up hire car in downtown SF around 9.30am and drive via Hwy 1 to half moon bay for a short refreshment stop. Continue down Hwy 1 to Santa Cruz for lunch - stop for around 2 hours. Take Hwy 9 to Henry Cowell Redwood park and do the short loop trail - stop for an hour or so. Head back to SF via Mt Herman Road, Hwy 17, Hwy 85 and Hwy 280. Drop the hire car off in SF around 4pm. According to Google maps the drive is around 160 miles/3hrs and 9 mins so it would seem that the plan is realistic subject to traffic and driving conditions.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Francisco to Santa Cruz and return

From your previous thread here tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60713-i30-k741001…

I think you have too short a time in SF to take a day trip away. Furthermore you will have seen Muir with Dylan's.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,998 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Francisco to Santa Cruz and return

Sounds great.

One tip.... When going down Mt Hermon Rd (not Mt Herman. Mt Hermon is a famous mountain in Israel) a left on Scotts Valley Dr and take a look around the pretty Scotts Valley community. If you like cars there is a museum there.... The Canapea. http://www.canepa.com/collection/about.html

Dr. Z

P.S. I did not see any of your previous threads.......

Edited: 30 April 2014, 02:13
Santa Cruz, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
234 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Francisco to Santa Cruz and return

This is very do-able in one long day. You will have to make sure you don't delay in any one place too long, but doable. I often go up and do the redwood loop in an hour at Henry Cowell. There is a $10.00 entrance fee. Don't have dessert in Half Moon Bay. They just north of Davenport on CA-1 stop in a Swanton Berry Farm (look for the old yellow truck with a 10 foot strawberry in the back on the left side of the road) for a chocolate covered strawberry and great coffee. They also have killer cobbler, pie, and cheesecake. Don't miss it! Have a great day!

canberra
Level Contributor
100 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Francisco to Santa Cruz and return

I have made a previous visit to San Francisco and saw a fair bit of that beautiful city so wanted a day adventure outside the SF precinct. Hence my plan to head down to Santa Cruz to see nice coast line, redwood forests, nice beaches all within a 3.5 hour drive. Hopefully the trip to Santa Cruz and back will fit the bill.

canberra
Level Contributor
100 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Francisco to Santa Cruz and return

A killer cobbler sounds interesting!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,665 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Francisco to Santa Cruz and return

Well, Ok, if you are going to give up a day in SF for a trip down to my town, you might want to read this for some information.

http://tinyurl.com/cy7nl3c

If you need more, please let me know.

7. Re: San Francisco to Santa Cruz and return

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2015, 07:16