We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping

New Westminster...
6 posts
Save Topic
Camping

We will be in the Santa Cruz area with 2 teenagers for 3 days in mid-August. We plan on hiking, surfing, and visiting the beach boardwalk. Can you recommend a good RV park with full hookups? It appears the local state parks are either full or without hookups.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,165 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping

Try this one.....

http://www.seacliffrvpark.com/

Their website says they have full hookups and the location is great. If this is one is full, then ask them for recommendations and/or google for RV sites with hookups in the area. There are some RV sites on the way to Big Basin, in Felton, for example.

Edited: 02 August 2014, 02:11
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,165 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping

And here is some information on Santa Cruz for ideas of other things to do/see (besides the beloved Boardwalk) Enjoy your stay.

http://tinyurl.com/cy7nl3c

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,118 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping

Santa Cruz Redwoods is nice but a little bit of a drive into Santa Cruz. It is in Felton.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,165 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camping

Felton is 7 miles from the intersection of Hwy 1 and Hwy 9 in Santa Cruz. Here is the website for Santa Cruz Redwoods RV Park.

http://www.santacruzredwoodsrvresort.com/

Rocklin, California
Level Contributor
647 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camping

Additional camping in area - KOAs in Pescadero and Moss Landing - each about 30 min from Santa Cruz. Also, check the California State Parks website - I know there's another campground besides SeaCliff closer to Aptos, but the name is escaping me. You might have luck midweek in any of the campgrounds, but I know all weekends were booked in everything I tried for the next few weeks. Most of them you can see online what is available. You could also try Henry Cowell State Park, but if I remember correctly it was pretty full, too (it's in the mountains near Felton, also).

Edited: 02 August 2014, 03:00
Rocklin, California
Level Contributor
647 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Camping

Oops, I just saw your request for hookups - most of state parks don't have hookups. I don't think Seacliff does either, except maybe in the handicap site from what I remember last time I drove through there.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,165 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Camping

Seacliff RV Park, is, I believe, a private park, not part of Seacliff State Beach. It does have hookups, but will cost to stay there. New Brighton State Beach is another State Park, , but they are always full, a year in advance, as are most of the State Parks here. I do not know if they have hookups. I doubt it.

The KOA's in Pescadero and Moss Landing are not very convenient for a visit to Santa Cruz but I think your only hope at this late date is a private park, not a public one.

Edited: 02 August 2014, 04:37
New Westminster...
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Camping

Thanks for all the helpful information. Can anyone comment on staying right at the Santa Cruz harbor which apparently has RV sites according to the webpage. The photos look terrific ... I will call tomorrow as they do not appear to accept on-line reservations.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,165 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Camping

That is very interesting. I have lived here for more years than you want to know and I have never seen an RV park at the Harbor. I do see that the website says they have full hookups, so go for it. Please let me know what you find out.

Did you notice the warning about the anchovy die-off? Hundreds of them have come into the Harbor and died from lack of oxygen. It is supposed to be quite smelly.....but may be gone by the time you come.

Santa Cruz, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
232 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Camping

The camping at the harbor is not so much an RV park as it is eight or so long parking spaces at the very back of the harbor (not so scenic). The spaces are angled and right next to each other. There is no raw ground or dirt. You are essentially in a narrow parking space with RVs on both sides and cars going by to and from the harbor.