We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Life in Santa Margatrita?

Houston, Texas
1 post
Save Topic
Life in Santa Margatrita?

Hi, I'm thinking of moving to Santa Margarita to retire. What's it like there? I'm in Texas and do not like the humidity, but don't mind the heat. also would like more to do than just dine-out. Are there still good deals on land out side of town? thanks

1. Re: Life in Santa Margatrita?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2005, 15:45
San Luis Obispo CA
Level Contributor
5 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Life in Santa Margatrita?

Rainiest town on the Central Coast. In-town homes are somewhat stranded right now due to the most recent storm.

Otherwise- small, quaint, septic tank little village. No police force, they use the county sheriff instead. Rural areas are very beautiful but be sure to check on the water situation before purchasing land. Also, if you want primitive solitude, investigate the building that will go on soon. LOTS of development scheduled in the Santa Margarita area before long. Good luck and happy shopping!

california
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Life in Santa Margatrita?

SANTA MARGARITA is a sweet little western town of the old California style. I am a realtor for the area. Lots of heat in the summer and cold but not too icy in the winter

california
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Life in Santa Margatrita?

great area. Im a realtor in the area. About 3500-5000 pop. No humidity. dry heat in the summer. cold in the winter no snow. It is a sweet little town with the old California style western town of the old days. Closest real shopping is about 10 miles north in the town of Atascadero. the chamber of comerce of Atascadero has a web site

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
68 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Life in Santa Margatrita?

Are you talking about Santa Margarita that is an hour north of SD, and an hour south of LA? I live in Santa Margarita (or RSM), and the climate is wonderful. It is a master planned community, with a LOT of families & kids. Land and real estate are not cheap. There is a lot to do, all the time. Plus it is very centrally located. I'm not sure if this is the area you are thinking of, because it sounds like some of the responses are describing Santa Barbara area.

california
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Life in Santa Margatrita?

Santa margarita north of san luis obispo. I didnt know about the one near san diego.

3804 amberwood lane
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Life in Santa Margatrita?

I am currently considering taking a job in San Luis Obispo, CA and wondered if there is decent and affordable rental property in, Santa Margarita, CA in San Luis Obispo County

What is the local newspaper?

Morro Bay...
Level Contributor
800 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Life in Santa Margatrita?

The local paper is the Telegram Tribune. You should be able to find it online under San Luis Obispo Tribune. As for rentals. the best prices areinland (still only about 25 minutes from the coast) in Paso Robles and Atascadero, quite a bit higher on the coast. As for reasonable, that probably depends on where you are coming from...for someone out of state, the prices are probably ridiculously high! However, compared to other (coastal) counties in the state, they are less.

For Secret Garden, coming from Texas, you will probably be shocked at the prices in California...however, the quality of life is outstanding in San Luis Obisp and people continue to want to live here, thus continuing to send prices higher. Santa Margarita is a nice little undeveloped town, getes quite hot in summer...not a lot of housing available, however.

Santa Margarita,CA
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Life in Santa Margatrita?

Santa Margarita,is the best little town to raise a family or to retire too!

We are not very big here, but our hearts sure are!

Land prices vary on where you want to live.

Don't be fooled by all ads that say Santa Margarita area though! There are ads that say our towns name but are actually not here in town at all! Get a good real estate agent! We do have two in town. The landscape is breathless! The wildlife is too!

The people here are one of a kind! Come and check us out- you will fall in love with our area!

Good luck!!

Get answers to your questions about Santa Margarita
Recent Conversations