We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bicycle hire and restaurants

Queensland
Level Contributor
186 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Bicycle hire and restaurants

Hi, we will be staying for 1 night only at the Seashore motel in Santa Monica.

Are there any places near there to hire bikes? So you have to wear helmets in America? Also where would you recommend we ride to? I would like to have a look around but only have half a day to do so.

Also can anyone recommend a nice place to have dinner (not too expensive!).

thanks

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bicycle hire and restaurants

BIKE RENTALS - most are near the Pier

Perry's Bike Rental 1200 PCH 310-458-3975

Blazing Saddles 320 Santa Monica Pier 310-393-9778

Spokes 'N Stuff 1715 Ocean Front Walk 310-395-4748

Sea Mist Rental 1619 Ocean Front Walk 310-395-7075

Perry's Beach Club 2400 Ocean Front Walk 310-372-3138

Joey's Bike Rentals 1715 Ocean Front Walk 310-395-4748

The bike ride to Venice is easy. You can continue down to Marina del Rey or on down to Playa del Rey. The Shack in Playa del Rey has great shack burgers and beer.

As far as dinner - what does not too expensive mean? Also what type of food would you like - there is so many places to choose from and so little time to enjoy all the food. :)

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,533 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bicycle hire and restaurants

No, you don't need a helmet.

You can take the Tide Shuttle from Seashore to the Pier, it's 25¢ and runs every few minutes. Your motel will have a schedule. You can also easily walk from your motel to the Pier - there are few bike rental places there.

Great food is everywhere, surrounding your motel. I recommend happy hour at Chaya Venice (5-7) for sushi, or else go to World Cafe, Library Alehouse, 3Square (on Abbot Kinney)... All are walking distance from your motel. Just choose a menu you like, but you can't go wrong at, say, Library Alehouse.

Ride your bike wherever the whim takes you, north (beach after beach) or south (shop after shop - Venice Beach).

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,595 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bicycle hire and restaurants

Will there be people under 18 year old traveling with you? If so, it is a law in CA for them to wear helmets while riding a bike. It's not a bad idea for adults too, either. My husbands rides the bike path and has seen many accidents over the years.

Have fun.

Queensland
Level Contributor
186 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bicycle hire and restaurants

Hello, thanks for your help. I think we will helmets as i know they are good (have had a stack myself!). And we are used to having to wear them here in Australia.

Queensland
Level Contributor
186 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bicycle hire and restaurants

I have another question if anyone can help - how much to hire bikes??

thanks

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,533 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bicycle hire and restaurants

I believe it's about $20 an hour? Maybe less at this time of year...

NE Ohio
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bicycle hire and restaurants

Hubby and I rented bikes from the hotel we stayed at (Holiday Inn at the Pier) for $15/hr. So check with your hotel if you are staying close to the beach. We rode the bike trail up to Malibu and down to Venice Beach...I have to say that was the highlight of my trip to SM! The bike path was very crowded when we got down towards Venice Beach. Helmets are a great idea, as I almost crashed into another rider who veered in front of me. It is a great way too see a lot of the area. Have fun!

8. Re: Bicycle hire and restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 07:20