We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Time To Book Flights

England
Level Contributor
1,972 posts
460 reviews
Save Topic
Best Time To Book Flights

Hello,

we are looking at sorting out all our flights to LA this summer.

we want to arrive around 29th august, but at the moment the airfares are really really pricey!

we traveled to USA last year (from london heathrow) on the same date and my ticket was £280. saying that, i only booked my ticket in june/july.

do you think leaving it later will bring lower prices at all by any chance like last year?

thanks for any help!

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
K30
Cornwall
Level Contributor
801 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Time To Book Flights

I know what you mean, I looked to book a flight to Phoenix at about the same time (in August), paid £400 last year- BA are asking for £730 at the moment!

In general, depending on the airline, they tend to be sky high for summer at about this time of year as everyone is cold and fed up of winter and look for escapism through booking flights in summer! They tend to go down May-July time, but within a couple of weeks before a flight they zoom right up again so be sure not too leave it too late. (My £400 flight went up to over a thousand the week before I flew out, thank god I booked it when i did).

Also, keep checking expedia and last minute as they often hook up with big airlines and get rid of seats cheapISH (did this with my flight to LA over xmas, paid about £370, not bad given it was school hols etc).

It also depends on destination- certain places in the US like Orlando stay high thorughout.

So in short I would leave it and check again in like May/June- I could not swear to it, but my dad is a long haul pilot so I can say this with half a clue of what I am talking about! Just don't leave it to within a couple of weeks or you will have to pay astronimcal prices !

Mentioned in this post
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
2. Re: Best Time To Book Flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 03:18