We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The prices of Santa Monica hotels are outrages

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Topic
The prices of Santa Monica hotels are outrages

How the heck can anyone afford to stay in Santa Monica anymore? The hotels are getting more and more expensive each year. Even the lower run hotels are almost asking to upper $200's to $300.00 a night. It's really a shame!!

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
29,327 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The prices of Santa Monica hotels are outrages

That's how it always is and always has been. It's a desirable area, with few hotels, the only beachfront in Los Angeles, and this is true of all upscale areas of all cities around the world - the desirable areas are higher priced.

I've seen rates drop lately, not rise, actually. The Travelodge used to be close to $200/night but not anymore.

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
6,330 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The prices of Santa Monica hotels are outrages

Keep your eye on Travelzoo specials, which sometimes feature Santa Monica hotels.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,993 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The prices of Santa Monica hotels are outrages

Yes, you have to look for deals. Santa Monica real estate is limited and isn't going to get any bigger. Building new hotels is a virtual impossibility - and the world's population of travelers only goes up over time. It's a very popular place.

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,697 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The prices of Santa Monica hotels are outrages

You might think about looking at the decent inland hotels/motels, like the Travelodge on Pico, the Comfort Inn, Days Inn. It's not the glory of the beach, but it's not that far either, even by bus (a couple miles).

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
25 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The prices of Santa Monica hotels are outrages

Would you consider a hostel? I've walked past this one a few times, and it is within walking distance of the Third Street Promenade (lots of shops, restaurants, bars) AND the beach...

http://www.hilosangeles.org/about.shtml

Never been though, but I've stated at other HI/YHA locations and they've all been really nice. This location has private rooms, and it appears their rates are reasonable. My parents visited and stayed in a "cheaper" hotel (yes, about $250 a night), but it was still gorgeous and near to the beach, so the charges are no surprise. Santa Monica is a wonderful part of LA.

You may also want to look in Venice, Marina del Ray, Brentwood or the Palisades. A friend's parents found a nice little house rental for a week in Venice for about $150 a night, and it is easy to bus/walk the few miles north into Santa Monica, or to walk to the Main Street section of SM.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,764 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The prices of Santa Monica hotels are outrages

I grew up near SM and am amazed at how it has turned from a sleepy beach community into a miniature New York City! I have no idea why anyone would even want to came out here, other than to see something that was in some movie...

But what would you expect to pay in Miami, San Francisco or any other beach city? $300 is pretty average if you want to be near the beach.

Edited: 18 December 2011, 09:57
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The prices of Santa Monica hotels are outrages

If you are looking for a nice place to stay next to the Pacific Ocean in the "Southland", the Newport Channel Inn in Newport Beach is highly rated here at TA.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32780-d78664-R…

Nothing fancy, but a great location at a good price.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,977 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The prices of Santa Monica hotels are outrages

Check out the Sea View Inn in Manhattan Beach, 3 miles south of LAX. They are a block up from the beach. Rooms start at about $150 and go up for kitchens. They have free parking and lend out bikes for the 22 mile bike path along the Strand to Venice and Santa Monica.

http://www.theseaviewinn.com/index.htm

Marina del Rey...
Level Contributor
130 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The prices of Santa Monica hotels are outrages

where I live in Marina del Rey, a 5 stars resort like place are offering studios for $150/night, not sure if this so true but i saw them advertising about it, I would prefer staying here compared to the dirty 2-3 stars hotels in Santa Monica, I can't post the name of the complex as I do not want to advertise for them, but you can PM me and I will give you the info, we are right on the water overlooking the beautiful Marina.

10. Re: The prices of Santa Monica hotels are outrages

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 19:41
Get answers to your questions about Santa Monica
Recent Conversations