We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santa Monica things to do during early September 2012 ??

Sydney, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Santa Monica things to do during early September 2012 ??

We are a couple of Aussie guys who need some tips and advice on what to do during a short stop over in Santa Monica from the 1st of September to the 4th of September 2012.

This is the last leg of our journey before we head back to Australia. We are staying on Ocean Avenue and we don't have a car. I am aware that it is a Labour Day long weekend on during our time there. Is everything closed the Monday ? Will there be any special events on like fireworks or concerts ?

We want to do a bit of shopping and have at least one big night on the drink. Any info on good places to eat and drink would be greatly appreciated ?

We also want to check out Muscle Beach and Gold's Gym. Does anyone know the cost of using the gym at Gold's ?

Cheers

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,308 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Santa Monica things to do during early September 2012 ??

Everything will be open. There are no fireworks or concerts. There's enough shopping in Santa Monica to keep you busy for days - literally. Head to Montana Avenue, Promenade, Santa Monica Place, Main Street and Abbot Kinney in Venice.

There are two areas that are referred to as Muscle Beach - one by the Pier and one further south in Venice. Rent bikes and bike the bike path.

for a night out drinking, you have your choice of bar after bar after bar along Ocean, along 2nd, along Broadway and along Santa Monica Blvd. Copa de Oro has a famous bartender/mixologist, Chloe is a lounge, Bar Pintxo has tapas with their drinks, Makai has a d.j., The Yard has a top chef and great bartender, and the list goes on. Huntley's Penthouse has gorgeous views as does Casa del Mar's hotel lobby bar and ShangriLa's rooftop bar

hampshire
Level Contributor
106 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Santa Monica things to do during early September 2012 ??

I have a 10 day trip planned and would like to include the beach in Santa Monica as it's one of my favourites, can you tell me what day would be better (i.e. less busy, more chance of parking!) Sat, Sun or Monday?

I would prefer the weekend as we've got Disney Tues/Wed and would like to space things out, but I presume that's when it's going to be at it's worst?

I'm driving from Santa Clarita BTW!

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,308 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santa Monica things to do during early September 2012 ??

Monday would be the easiest day for parking, etc, but it's the day you would have traffic to and from Santa Clarita. Saturday will be less busy than Sunday, with less traffic on the 405

hampshire
Level Contributor
106 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Santa Monica things to do during early September 2012 ??

thanks for your help!

5. Re: Santa Monica things to do during early September 2012 ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 06:17