We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best safest areas to stay in Los Angeles

Which Santa Monica hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best safest areas to stay in Los Angeles

Hi there,

I am travelling to LA on 8th August for 3 nights. With my husband and 2 teenage boys (15 and 16 years). We would like to visit Universal, Griffith Observatory, Farmers market & Grove, possibly Disney or 6 Flags parks. Maybe take a tour bus.

Last year we stayed at Hermosa Beach which was lovely and felt quite safe, going out at night and for the boys in particular.

I was thinking of staying Santa Monica but prices are very high, my budget is about $500 for three nights. I also looked at West Hollywood which also expensive. I noticed sunset blvd a little further east but noticed reviewers say not so safe with kids at night.

I have provisionally booked travel lodge on Pico Blvd, Santa Monica as reviews say we can get bus ride to places near by.

Just asked for little help if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best safest areas to stay in Los Angeles

August is high season for hotels, especially in coastal / beach areas like Santa Monica which is pricey to begin with.

I'd probably give the Travelodge a pass. First, while its technically in Santa Monica, its not really near the nice part of Santa Monica and given your itinerary I do not think the reviews that public transit access from there is easy are going to be accurate - its a bit of a walk to reach the most useful bus lines and any place you mentioned is going to be at least 2 bus rides once you do reach the useful bus lines.

$500 for 3 nights gives you $166 / night, and hotel taxes in LA are 15% on top of the stated room rate.

If you want to try for Santa Monica, I'd look instead to the Sea Shore Motel or the Seaview hotel, both of which will probably be in your price range and are better located - especially Seaview - for public transit.

The other place to consider would be in Hollywood near Hollywood blvd. and Highland Ave., which is the touristy center of Hollywood. One hotel to consider in this area would be Orchid Suites, which I believe will be around your budget, but there are other hotels in that area that would work as well. Tour buses (www.starlinetours.com) stage from this area, its very close to Universal (one-stop subway ride), only a few miles and one bus ride from The Grove. Griffith Observatory can be reached from there via a subway ride of a few stops to the Sunset / Vermont station, and then the Weekend Observatory DASH shuttle (note - as the name implies, this only runs on weekends, and its the only way to Griffith without your own car if you don't use a taxi).

Its not particularly close to Magic Mountain or Disneyland, but due to their locations, its impossible to stay near either of those and also be close to any of the other things that you listed. Magic Mountain is probably best reached via tour bus (see the Star Line Tours web site I linked above) - I believe its difficult to reach on public transit from pretty much anywhere. Disneyland is more reachable on public transit, but its a lot easier to get there using a tour bus and if you stay in this location, the tour buses are right there so its convenient.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
26,780 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best safest areas to stay in Los Angeles

That Travelodge is not close to anything on your list, nor is it near downtown Santa Monica. It' s a safe area, lots of great restaurants nearby, but not the beach experience you seek.

How do you plan to fit Disneyland, 6 Flags and Universal into 3 days plus the other places on your list? Each of those takes a full day (or two) to visit and are on opposite sides of the city, an hour from each other by CAR, double that without one.

Denver, Colorado
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best safest areas to stay in Los Angeles

I used to live in Santa Monica. Excellent choice! It's very safe. Check out this site on "Hotels Under $100". They have a Santa Monica page here:

besthotelsunder100.com/santa-monica-hotels-u…

Scroll down and look at Hotel Carmel. This hotel is walking distance to both the Santa Monica pier and the Promenade. The beach too.

There's a good chance it can work with your budget.

Birmingham
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best safest areas to stay in Los Angeles

Thanks. I haven't decided which of the parks to visit, I am still in the planning( defo universal maybe one more). Yes we do have a car but it would be nice to be near public transport to visit area such as the beach and I want a safe area to walk around outside my hotel.

Thanks MachThree comment.....so Hollywood blvd and highland ave area are ok? as I've found a comfort inn on las brae and sunset price range but read that sunset blvd area wasn't suitable for walking alone in evening or with kids so thought best avoided ?!

Edited: 24 February 2013, 22:16
West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,052 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best safest areas to stay in Los Angeles

Hi, Bram

Welcome to the Forum. I have to be honest and tell you that you have nothing to worry about regarding safety in any of the popular Los Angeles neighborhoods. I live 6 or 7 minutes from the Comfort Inn on Sunset Bl near La Brea Av and there is nothing, repeat, nothing unsafe about this area!

Our lovely contributors would never recommend an unsafe place to stay so it's not necessary to keep repeating that you want something safe. We make the same hotel recommendations to burly men, single women and families with children.

Please stop worrying about safety.

Maryland
Level Contributor
10 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best safest areas to stay in Los Angeles

If you want Santa Monica and you've got two kids, you might check out the Doubletree... it's a great hotel to consider because you could all stay in one room and hotel has a nice pool w towels, lounge chairs, etc, fitness room and rooms are suites with pull-out double (queen?) sofa in a separate living room and a private w door King bedroom. Bathroom accessible via two separate doors. The units also have refrigerators and microwave and coffee makers. If you have AAA or AARP, you might be able to squeak out of there a little over budget, but in a very nice place with plenty of entertainment on-site. Worth looking in to... Good luck and have a great trip.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,802 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best safest areas to stay in Los Angeles

Sunset Blvd is fine any place in West Hollywood. It can be busy on the weekends, but not unsafe.

United States
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best safest areas to stay in Los Angeles

August is hot and smoggy, keep your reservation on the westside at the Travelodge.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Best safest areas to stay in Los Angeles

Thanks hopskipjump, that really puts my mind at rest, along with lots of review reading. Travelr101 I looked at the doubletree and unfortunately it is out of my price range, but thanks for your wonderful information. Thanks to all who have inputted it is a fab way to get valuable information when planning my iternary. After much review reading and yes thanks HaroldnMaude the hot smog, I have booked into the Hollywood Celebrity Hotel in Hollywood, it's close to lots of good stuff we can walk and drive to. And we can visit the lovely smoggy Santa Monica beach for a look rather than stay there. We are off to Pismo beach after LA so we will get our beach in there.

Again thanks all. I am now thoroughly exited and counting the months as it is till very cold here.

Hope you all have a fab day :)

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
26,780 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best safest areas to stay in Los Angeles

Santa Monica doesn't have the smog, you have it backward. Anyway, there isn't much smog anymore, it's not like it was in the 70s, it's basically gone, thanks to regulations.