We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lone woman hiking in Santa Monica Mountains?

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
40 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Lone woman hiking in Santa Monica Mountains?

I will have 1 free day in S.M. in mid October and my hotel is right at the pier. It looks like there is lots to do right at the beach, but I would love to rent a car and go hike in the mountains, for the nature and the views. Would this be safe, as I would be alone, or would it be unwise? Where would you recommend as a good 4 or 5 mile trail or loop where it would be hard to get lost - and safe if alone? I am in early 60's and quite fit. I would be in my runners - not hiking boots. Thanks!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,167 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lone woman hiking in Santa Monica Mountains?

Ummm... you have not done some research on this hiking adventure?

Suggest some maps and a little more research before depending upon strangers' ideas of what kind of hike in those mountains you should take.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,863 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lone woman hiking in Santa Monica Mountains?

You will be safe - I recommend Temescal Canyon Hike. Seems a waste to rent a car to drive only a couple miles, though. Why not just walk the beach? Here's information on Temescal Canyon.

www.hikespeak.com/trails/temescal-canyon/

3. Re: Lone woman hiking in Santa Monica Mountains?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2013, 10:56
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,675 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lone woman hiking in Santa Monica Mountains?

I travel alone and am in your age group.

I don't think anyone can guarantee your safety when you go off by yourself to hike anywhere in the world!

IF you go I'd make sure there are other hiking /walking groups in close proximity.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lone woman hiking in Santa Monica Mountains?

I have no idea of whether this area is safe for a lone female BUT I find it interesting that the only person who thinks you'll be safe is the only local who responded.

I spent two weeks hiking through England by myself. The locals on the forums (Somerset and Cornwall) had indicated that I would be safe hiking alone. Of course no one can guarantee anything. You can get hit by a bus walking across the street.

If you go be sure to have a map, and a whistle. (And perhaps a compass although the trail looks pretty straightforward.)

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lone woman hiking in Santa Monica Mountains?

Maybe Griffith Park, which has lots of trails? What length trail are you looking for? There are, and some historical buildings, at Will Rogers State Park, in a pleasant area that is a fairly short drive from your hotel.

Edited: 02 September 2013, 15:35
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,675 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lone woman hiking in Santa Monica Mountains?

Local or non local my advice for any hiking/walking trail is to have a buddy UNLESS the trail is very well traveled with other people. I did not say the area was unsafe. I just said only go if there are lots of other people around. Glad you had a great time hiking through England!

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,863 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lone woman hiking in Santa Monica Mountains?

I hike alone all the time through Temescal Canyon, the hike I recommended. It's an extremely busy area, plenty of people around - mostly locals hiking their dogs, lots of women hiking with friends, lots of couples. It's unsafe if you go at night.

Notice I didn't recommend any of the hikes in Malibu, Topanga, even not Los Liones - all of which might have you alone for periods of time, which I don't recommend. Temescal is popular, but not too popular, and enjoyable.

Also, the link I provided will be a good start to researching the area.

Edited: 02 September 2013, 16:19
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,976 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lone woman hiking in Santa Monica Mountains?

And I hike occasionally in the Malibu area - but only in the more well-traveled parks (there's a nice winery up there too). I like the movie ranches and I don't go hiking if it's apparently deserted (there are almost always horse people up there when I go).

Use common sense. Yogachik's advice about Temescal Canyon is good.

My family prefer that I don't hike alone, but sometimes a person needs alone time outside...

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
40 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lone woman hiking in Santa Monica Mountains?

Thanks for the link. Much appreciated.