We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Sunset to Hollywood + SaMo restaurant question...

Which Santa Monica hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Topic
Driving Sunset to Hollywood + SaMo restaurant question...

We have decided to stay in SaMo for our November visit after reading comments to my “Undecided” post – they were very helpful thank you everyone - and we've worked out that we only want to spend one day in Hollywood.

We will have a car and I note in another post that a TA expert suggests one way up to Hollywood is via Sunset through Brentwood, Bel Air, Bev Hills, West Hollywood and then to Hollywood. This seems like the best way for us as we can then tick off those suburbs along the way as part of our day. A couple of questions:

1. Noting this will likely to be a full day, what time would be best to leave SaMo? I am conscious of peak hour traffic (but I guess we are going to encounter it either in the am or the pm).

2. The kids would like to take a walk around Rodeo Drive, would we do this on the way there or back (possibly doesn’t matter…).

3. We will park our car at the Highland Centre and then explore the nearby area – walk of fame etc. From here, we’d like to get good view of the Hollywood sign, would we drive to Griffith Park to see this?

Now for my SaMo restaurant question: I am looking to book one great restaurant before we come over, the rest of the time we will just wing it and decide at the time. Venues I've considered are Jiraffe, The Lobster, Tar & Roses and Father’s Office (although I've just seen they don't take reservations). Now, I know that this is probably like comparing apples to oranges to lemons but your advice would be most welcome on:

1. the need to book; and

2. the suitability of these for children (3.5, 11 and 12).

Or...do you have a favourite SaMo restaurant? I am not overly fussed on the cuisine/price at this stage - if I can get some options I then decide on what will suit everyone best...

Many thanks in advance

Boy046

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
26,808 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Sunset to Hollywood + SaMo restaurant question...

1. Leave SM about 9:30 or 10. You'll miss traffic this way (anyway, it's the opposite direction as traffic, and Sunset won't have any anyway)

2. Doesn't matter when you visit Rodeo Drive. You'll be finished with Hollywood faster than you think, best to get it out of the way in the morning when it's less crowded.

3. You can see the Sign from everywhere in LA. You'll see it best from viewing spot in Hollywood/Highland mall

Father's Office doesn't allow kids. Jiraffe is too stuffy for kids. Lobster will be fun for them, Tar and Roses is very loud and hip. Great spots would be: Hllstone, R+D Kitchen, Water Grill, Sushi Roku, Galley, Chaya Venice, Oysterette, Cha Cha Chicken.

Have fun, be sure to check back with a trip report after you return!

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Sunset to Hollywood + SaMo restaurant question...

Wonderful - thank you ElleBeinLA - just the info I was after.

This trip is pretty much sorted - it can't come soon enough - its been a long time in the planning!

Cheers

Boy046

3. Re: Driving Sunset to Hollywood + SaMo restaurant question...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2014, 07:19