We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Fairmount or Loews.....?

Catalonia, Spain
Level Contributor
46 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
The Fairmount or Loews.....?

cant decide between the two. we like the idea of having a balcony overlooking the ocean and i believe the Fairmount offers this type of room. Looking for a place that also has a heated pool and in a good location close to stores, bars, restaurants etc..... both hotels seem to be neck and neck for me... any thoughts ?? thanks in advance.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,007 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Fairmount or Loews.....?

I like the Loews because it is on the beach. If beach is important, go that way.

Fairmont is across the street and up a bluff from the beach, but a better location for shopping (marginally) because it is just down from the Third Street Promenade.

Look at the two hotels on Google Maps.

http://goo.gl/maps/4Ley5

http://goo.gl/maps/kn2Dj

Catalonia, Spain
Level Contributor
46 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Fairmount or Loews.....?

thanks for the advice! yes you read my mind. being closer to the beach is an absolute must .... the Fairmont sounds a bit farther away. think the decisions been made then. thanks again.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,335 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Fairmount or Loews.....?

Be aware there are lots of kids at Lowes typically. Maybe not so much this time of year, but in summer its kids galore.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Fairmount or Loews.....?

Except that Loew's is actually on the beach (or practically so) and Fairmont is not quite, there's little practical difference in their locations. Loew's is a bit removed from the edge of the 3rd St. Promenade (3rd St. between Broadway and Wilshire Blvd.) while Fairmont is a bit closer to the other side of the Promenade. Both are very nice hotels, you won't go wrong at either and its not really such a far walk between the two so really what's near one is pretty much near the other.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,872 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Fairmount or Loews.....?

I've stayed in both and like them both for different reasons. I prefer the neighborhood around the Fairmont, and enjoy the upscale nature of the hotel more. But Loews is on the beach, has the most lovely happy hour overlooking the beach and lit-up Pier, and a great pool. Fairmont's pool is small and the patrons/diners at Fig overlook it, and you. Both attract families, Loews more so than Fairmont.

Fairmont has a noise element on one side of the hotel due to the very hip and happening Bungalow bar on the property (outdoors). Loews doesn't have large balconies. Loews is in the middle between Main Street and the Promenade, easy to walk to both for dinner (endless choices of cafes, bars, restaurants when close to both areas). Fairmont is close only to Promenade, although an easy walk to Montana Avenue and all it has to offer.

As the hotels go, I prefer the Fairmont. As views go, I prefer Loews (especially the outdoor bar area/pool)

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,172 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Fairmount or Loews.....?

I've stayed at both. My husband's Holiday Party used to be at the Fairmont and we'd get a room over the weekend, for a few years in a row. Always had a great view of the ocean and enjoyed the balcony.

Went to a wedding reception at Loew's and got a room for the weekend. For the same price, we did not get an ocean view room, but one facing the street. Didn't matter so much, as we were in the public rooms of the hotel most of the time.

Do ocean view/front rooms price out the same for you?

7. Re: The Fairmount or Loews.....?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2014, 05:16