We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe, clean, reasonable places to stay along PCH?

Which Santa Monica hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vienna
Level Contributor
281 posts
469 reviews
Save Topic
Safe, clean, reasonable places to stay along PCH?

I'm setting up an itinerary for a trip to Southern California in September/October 2014. Finding good/reasonable priced lodging always is an issue. I'd rather start early (as always). We also will be visiting Chicago and San Francisco (meaning already 5 nights that are expensive).

We will be driving southbound. On Saturday we will be staying in the Santa Barbara area. On Sunday need a safe, clean, reasonable place to stay (Quiet would be great. I'm sensitive to noise - street traffic or due to thin walls) in West / North LA / Santa Monica.

I don't like to stay in LA but a lady in my party would like to do the Hollywood Walk of Fame. After that we will be driving to Death Valley.

I thought Santa Monica would be a good choice (from a short stop years ago), to spend one afternoon. But the major reason for staying in LA is to make a wish of one of my fellow travellers come true.

Breakfast doesn't necessarily need to be included, if there are good dining options within walking distance.

Since we (as outlined above) already spend big bucks on the nights in Chicago, San Francisco and Death Valley, I would be glad to get a good night's sleep for not more than $100.00 plus tax. Need 2 or 3 rooms. Might also be in another area, as long as the drive on Monday morning to the Hollywood Boulevard/Walk of Fame will not take to long. We will have a rental car, so we are flexible.

Any suggestions? Thank you.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe, clean, reasonable places to stay along PCH?

Santa Monica is probably not the right place to look for a hotel in that price range (and I assume you mean $100 per night per room, not 2-3 rooms for $100 / nt total, which would be pretty much impossible anywhere in LA). Generally its a very pricey area for hotels. Your best bet in Santa Monica itself at that price range is probably going to be the Seaview Hotel, so I would start by looking in to that.

Realistically, $100/nt per room doesn't go very far in LA unless you really stay on the outskirts of town (not really suggested, will leave a long drive on Monday to Hollywood). You may want to look in Hollywood itself - possibilities at that price point would include the Motel 6 on Whitley Ave., the Liberty Hotel and perhaps the Quality Inn, Comfort Inn or Days Inn (all on La Brea Ave. or Sunset Blvd. near the intersection of those two streets).

You might also be able to find something at LAX or maybe even downtown LA a bit nicer for $100, especially if you were to use a blind bidding web site like www.hotwire.com or www.priceline.com

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,222 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe, clean, reasonable places to stay along PCH?

With a budget of $100 a night, I'd invest in some ear plugs too. That is a low budget for LA so I can't guarantee my recs won't be noisier than you are looking for.

Check these budget hotels in the Hollywood area.

Corals Sand Motel, Travelodge Hollywood-Vermont/Sunset, and The Dixie Hollywood Hotel in the eastern end of Hollywood.

Also the Days Inn Hollywood, Hollywood Celebrity Hotel, Comfort Inn Near Hollywood Walk of Fame, Quality Inn, Motel 6 and The Rodeway Inn.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
16,569 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe, clean, reasonable places to stay along PCH?

LA, Santa Monica and Santa Barbara are not good choices for scrimping on the budget. I'd recommend you stay in Ventura instead of SB, it will be cheaper (or further along up the coast, too).

You'll want to stay away from Pacific Coast Highway, too, as it is always a noisy street.

Here in Santa Monica, look at the TravelLodge on Pico Blvd. It is not near the hustle and bustle, close to a freeway ramp for easy of travel, is well received on TA, and has a couple of restaurants, Trader Joe's grocery store, and coffee shops to walk to. It is not $100 a night, it isn't possible to do that here.

I started using ear plugs when I travel and it makes a world of difference.

Please be very careful of those cheap hotels here in the city. The cheap ones I know about I wouldn't even let my pit bull spend a night!

United States
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe, clean, reasonable places to stay along PCH?

Noise is often going to be an issue at the budget places so I'd invest in a pair of earplugs just in case you need them. Also, a drive into Hollywood on a Monday morning is usually slow until 10am. From everywhere.

www.sbparkside.com

www.jollyrgr.com

www.wilshiremotel.com

www.travelodge.com

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,878 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe, clean, reasonable places to stay along PCH?

I'm not sure I understand the details of your plan. Is this what you have planned?

You'll be spending Saturday night in Santa Barbara (look in Goleta for less expensive rooms, or Carpenteria).

Sunday, you will drive (@ 2 hours) to Los Angeles, and spend the day and evening in Santa Monica and Hollywood.

Will you be driving to Death Valley on Monday morning-- or do you plan to spend more time sightseeing in Los Angeles before you go?

If you plan to leave the LA area early on Monday, perhaps you could drive 45 minutes to an hour east, out of the central (and expensive) parts of the LA region, on Sunday night. Sleep in West Covina or Ontario. You will find decent hotels rooms at a much better price. And you will shorten the drive to Death valley.

If you are driving into Death Valley from the West (using 395), you could spend the night in Santa Clarita, a nice suburb with many attractive, newer motels, or perhaps Lancaster or Palmdale.

Edited: 14 December 2013, 22:48
6. Re: Safe, clean, reasonable places to stay along PCH?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2014, 05:18