We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Conditioning During Mid-Late Summer??

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
59 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Air Conditioning During Mid-Late Summer??

When I was a kid, my grandmother lived with her parents in Santa Monica and I remember visiting her. It was magical! I want to repeat that experience with my partner and two step-sons over the summer. We'll be renting a vacation home for a week in either Santa Monica or Venice beach. I know you can walk to one from the other, so not sure if there is a big difference where we stay (please correct me if I am wrong). None of the condos or houses I've seen come with air-conditioning though. Owners are telling me it is not needed, even though we will be traveling late-July/early August. Is that true?

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,676 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air Conditioning During Mid-Late Summer??

"....Owners are telling me it is not needed, even though we will be traveling late-July/early August. Is that true?"...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Generally, this is a true statement. Our summers in the beach areas are cool compared to the more inland areas of California. We usually experience foggy mornings/evenings, which help keep our beaches cool all day long, even when the fog burns off by late morning.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,987 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air Conditioning During Mid-Late Summer??

It is generally true. Santa Monica and Venice have changed a lot since you were a kid. You can walk from one to the other, but I wouldn't want my kids doing it (nor would I do it myself) late in the evening. I'm perhaps overly cautious, I'm sure lots of people do it. I'd probably rent in Santa Monica over Venice, as well.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air Conditioning During Mid-Late Summer??

Its basically true. I live a little further inland than the areas you are probably thinking of renting and never use the A/C. Windows are really all that's needed 99% of the time. There are occasional days in the summer where heat or humidity can get to an uncomfortable level in these areas, but its pretty rare.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,533 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air Conditioning During Mid-Late Summer??

You cannot legally rent a home in Santa Monica for a week - don't do it. You may rent a place that is shut down before you get here.

There are many great rentals in Venice and Marina del Rey on airbnb.com - and you'll find that you won't need AC

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
18,392 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air Conditioning During Mid-Late Summer??

Nope, no AC; however, I've wished a couple of times this past week that I had it! We are used to a certain amount of coastal moisture in the air, so these Santa Ana winds affect us (well, me anyway) a lot more than those further from the coast.

By the way, although a lot has changed over the years, my kids found living here pretty magical, too. They appreciate it a lot more now that they're away at college.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,440 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air Conditioning During Mid-Late Summer??

Pay attention to message o 4. More and more cities in tn California are cracking down on tourist rentals for less than 30 days. Neighbor's complaints, I think. In Napa, for example, they require a license for vacation rentals under 30 days and if you are caught in a non-licensed agreement you could lose your deposit and be out on the street.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
18,392 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air Conditioning During Mid-Late Summer??

To further what Puter said, it's not only neighbor noise complaints. Taking housing stock from long term renters in cities with high demand for apartments displaces local residents, costing them a lot more in commuting and higher rents.

The owners of these vacation rentals know they are operating outside of the law when they let out their rentals for under 30 days. Given that the owner doesn't care about being lawful, why would you assume they will treat you fairly and lawfully when they've proven they are not trustworthy (think about your security deposit, for example)?

8. Re: Air Conditioning During Mid-Late Summer??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2015, 05:18