We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Commute from Santa Monica to Northridge?

Sarajevo...
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Commute from Santa Monica to Northridge?

Hey,

In the morning, what would the commute from Santa Monica TO Northridge (CSUN) be? 30mins?

What about the afternoon when coming from Northridge to SM?

Thanks

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
18,139 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Commute from Santa Monica to Northridge?

Hello Luka. Your best bet is to become familiar with Google maps. Plug in your start and end points, choose the right icon (car, bus, ped, bike), and you'll see the route and how much time it will take in current traffic. It shows, via I-405, that it takes 36 minutes, but also estimates current traffic conditions, which shows the trip, at this moment, taking 47 minutes. I recommend you check sigalert.com before you begin your drive.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Commute from Santa Monica to Northridge?

See my answer in your other post.....

Sarajevo...
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Commute from Santa Monica to Northridge?

Yes but it's not 100% accurate.

I really want to avoid living in Northridge, just not my type, it's far from everything, I Think I'd hate it there... And I'd love it in santa monica.

So what would the commute be in the morning to Northridge (I believe that's when everyone is going OUT of Northridge) and in the evening everyone is going TO Northidge while I'd go out.

What would the commute be? 30mins?

Google maps is not as accurate I believe.

Thanks

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,991 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Commute from Santa Monica to Northridge?

The whole theory of traveling in to the valley in the morning and out of in the evening with less traffic just doesn't hold true anymore. Traffic is generally bad during commuter hours in both directions, trust me, I live it every day. It would be slightly better heading into Northridge in the morning, but it will still take you more than 30 minutes. Figure 45 to an hour depending on traffic. On Thursdays and Fridays (which seem to be the worst traffic days) expect it to be longer on the commute home than normal. Santa Monica is about the least convenient place you could live when going to CSUN. If your classes are during off hours, and you can drive to/from outside of rush hour traffic, you'll be better off.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Commute from Santa Monica to Northridge?

Luka -

Plumeria knows the routes, as I do. Yes, Google maps is not always accurate.... plan on a longer commute than they indicate.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,991 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Commute from Santa Monica to Northridge?

P.S. I don't blame you, I wouldn't want to live in Northridge either.

Sarajevo...
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Commute from Santa Monica to Northridge?

Trying to decide ugh.... I'd REALLY Want to live in Santa Monica, would if the commute was 30-35mins.. but 50-60 mins is kinda a lot.

I'm not sure if my classes would be during rush-hour or not... hard decision, any advice? Really wanna avoid living up there.

Thanks

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Commute from Santa Monica to Northridge?

Try this.... get a place in SM. Plan on staying later in Northridge. Study or do work and go back home after traffic dies down.

Sarajevo...
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Commute from Santa Monica to Northridge?

Yeah there are lots of stuff to do up there.. I'll try to get my class info , if they're during rush hour or not.

But how long would an average commute be? people say 30-60mins.. kinda a lot.

Would 35mins AVERAGE one way, sound reasonable?

Thanks

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,231 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Commute from Santa Monica to Northridge?

How about Westwood? In between the two