We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santa Monica

London, United...
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Santa Monica

Hi I am thinking of going to Santa Monica and sight seeing around LA for 2 wks on my own. Was just wondering if anyone has done this and how safe it would be.

Thanks

Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
324 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Santa Monica

I would suggest you stay in the Santa Monica area ... And that you rent a car ... Car rental in the U.S. is very reasonable ... And it will give you the ability to get around and see everything. Public transportation in S. California is very lacking.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,626 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Santa Monica

It's quite safe - the comparison would be Brighton.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
17,045 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santa Monica

Welcome to TripAdvisor and the Santa Monica forum, Louise.

Santa Monica is a wonderful place to stay, but it is at the western edge of Los Angeles. That means it could add 20 minutes or so to your travels. I don't think it's a huge problem because you will enjoy how walkable and entertaining it is, but if your plans include visits to Orange County or Santa Barbara, for instance, it's a bit more complicated to get there than if you stay in downtown LA or Hollywood (usually an extra bus connection), but you can get around using buses, light rail, subway, Amtrak train, Starline tours, etc.

Of course, normal travel precautions need to be followed: don't walk around dark streets, alleys, or the beach at night, don't flash valuables around.

Happy planning.

London, United...
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Santa Monica

Thank you so much for your replies to my post.

I don't think I would drive in santa Monica so would get around on public transport and walking, and see/do as much I can. I definitely won't be walking down dark alleys or walking around by myself at night!! I guess it's about being sensible and aware of your surroundings. As I will be by myself I would like to stay as near to the beach as possible, are there any hotels you would recommend for me?

Thank you for your advice.

Louise

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,030 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Santa Monica

Santa Monica will be a perfect beach location for you. What is your budget for lodging? There are some motels that are walking distance to shops and the beach.

London, United...
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Santa Monica

I'm looking at about £1000 max for accommodation for 2 wks but would prefer a hotel. I know that probably sounds a bit snobby but I would feel safer in a hotel. Although I would probably meet more single travellers in hostels!!.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,626 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Santa Monica

Please break down your budget in dollars per night. As written, it seems you have 14 nights, at $114 a night, all in? This is impossible in Santa Monica, not even possible for a motel. Tax is 15%, so really, you're talking less than $100/night. That can't even be found in the cheapest hotels in Hollywood.

The least expensive, best location, motel in SM is the Sea Shore. Take a look to see if they have availability

London, United...
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Santa Monica

Thankyou. I will look up sea shore but will also up my budget so I have more options.

9. Re: Santa Monica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 February 2015, 05:20