We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Really good Mexican Restaurant

Which Santa Monica hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
245 posts
Save Topic
Really good Mexican Restaurant

HI,

we are visiting Santa Monica for a day, (shopping, checking out the beach etc) and was looking to eat in a really good mexican restaurant near 3rd Street , any suggestions.

Cheers

S

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,265 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Really good Mexican Restaurant

Not near The Promenade, no.

There's El Cholo on Wilshire and 11th - I don't love it, but many people absolutely swear by it.

La Cabana on Lincoln and Rose in Venice is great.

My favorite, though, is a taco stand on Main Street - Holy Guacamole - at the corner of Ashland. You can take the Tide Shuttle for 25cents from the Promenade directly there.

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
162 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Really good Mexican Restaurant

I love the Border Grill at 1445 4th. It's between Colorado and Santa Monica Blvd, one block away from the Promenade. Their food is great. If you have a vegetarian in your group ask them to make up a special vegi plate. The have a drink called a 'minty lime cooler' which is one of my all time favorites. It's an unusual drink and some fof my friends haven't liked it. If you do go there I suggest trying it.

Their web site is www.bordergrill.com

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
595 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Really good Mexican Restaurant

Just staying in Santa Monica I'd agree with El Cholo.

Border Grill is closer to 3rd street but it's more pseudo-Mexican if you ask me. Kind of Americanized.

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
162 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Really good Mexican Restaurant

Good point Hobbes.

El Chollo is what you expect from a 'typcial' Mexican restaurant. The food is good and so is the atmosphere. You can eat inside or sit in the small outside area. It's also not a long walk from the Promenade (about 15 minutes if you're on the Wilshire end of the Promendade).

Border Grill seems to base their food on Mexican cuisine and gets creative with their dishes.

You won't go wrong with either.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
82 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Really good Mexican Restaurant

I wholeheartedly agree with the Border Grill - very interesting, creative and tasty food. And fantastic Margaratas! We ate there about 2 weeks ago and loved it.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Really good Mexican Restaurant

I would imagine that you are back from your trip, but possibly others are interested as well. Our favorite is Tacos Por Favor. Amazing Mexican food. The best carne asada tacos, mole enchiladas, sopes, tortas; really everything here is excellent. Very simple interior (not really any decor) but very, very good Mexican food. They make three kinds of salsa fresh many times a day, use ripe roma tomatoes, nicely grilled chicken breast and do not use lard. Do not forget to have a cold Mexican coke in the bottle. Tacos por Favor is located at 14th and Olympic. We eat here several time a week.

7. Re: Really good Mexican Restaurant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2009, 03:19