We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay ?Santa Monica or Marina Del ray

vancouver
Level Contributor
594 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay ?Santa Monica or Marina Del ray

Hi,

I will be over a weekend , beginning of April in LA.This would be my second visit and this time i just like to go for nice walks ,stroll ,window shopping a drink in a nice place , people watching etc...

Was going to stay in Santa Monica ,however could not find a good hotel in my price range. So now i am looking into Marina del rey and have narrowed my choices to 2; Jamaica Bay inn and Hilton Garden inn ....Hilton Garden inn has a better price so might end with it as do not want to spend too much due to some other trips coming up soon.

Will i be losing a lot staying in that area instead of Santa monica? will have a friend who might take me around but i want to be able to do things on my own too if want to eg: venice beach , marina itself, shops and promenade , canals etc ,

any suggestions for hotels , any other ideas where to stay or even what to do would be appreciated.

vancouver
Level Contributor
594 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay ?Santa Monica or Marina Del ray

Just to add, found a good price for Marriott Marina del Rey , which has balcony and view ...would this be better than 2 other places?

I want a clean decent , practical place ( for going around) venice beach and santa monica .

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay ?Santa Monica or Marina Del ray

If money were no issue, then Santa Monica for sure. But you can still have a great time staying in the Marina.

Yes, the Marriott is much better than the other two if its in your budget. That said, will you have a car? The Marina itself is not an especially walkable area - its great for nice scenic strolls but for walking to shops and restaurants the distances can start to get large - but you can walk to Venice Beach from the side of the Marina where the hotels mentioned are located, and you can get to Santa Monica via two buses from there or some walking and one bus ride.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,618 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay ?Santa Monica or Marina Del ray

For all that you want to do, the Marina is not such a bad location. Jamaica Bay is close to lots of great restaurants and bars and shops (Abbot Kinney is close by), but the area does not have the suburban feel that you find in Santa Monica. It's right at Venice and the craziness of that.

This is why SM hotels are so expensive - there aren't many of them, and it's a highly desirable area. If you can up your budget, then you should stay in the area that you have in your mind. See if Sea View Hotel, Sea Shore Motel, Bayside Hotel and Cal Mar Suites have availability.

los angeles
Level Contributor
156 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay ?Santa Monica or Marina Del ray

Santa Monica will be more expensive than MDR. Here's another MDR alternative: Hotel MdR Marina del Rey– a DoubleTree by Hilton. Was by there recently and can see that their renovating. The nice thing about this hotel vs. others in MDR is that you can truly walk to entertainment and resturants. The hotel is part of a shopping center. Immediately adjacent to hotel is new large apt complex with services and resturants and accross the street is another shopping center with resturants, theater, shopping etc.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay ?Santa Monica or Marina Del ray

The Hotel MDR is not a bad choice and I would say better than Jamiaca Bay Inn or Hilton Garden Inn, but personally I'd probably rather go with the Marriott, everything else being equal. The Hotel MDR is indeed located in a shopping center and there's a second shopping center across the street, but between the two of them the dining options are a little bit 'meh' - not horrible, but not that exciting either - the best of the bunch probably Tender Greens, Le Pain Qoutidien and Nichols. That, plus its ever so slightly outside of the Marina.

vancouver
Level Contributor
594 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay ?Santa Monica or Marina Del ray

Thanks for all the replies, you are all a treasure of knowledge and your help is much much appreciated , i have checked all the ones you advised very quickly , will check them again. I will not have a car but my friends will , however do not want to depend only on them and want to have the option.

How is Manhattan beach or any other beach nearby without a car and for access to Venice beach and Santa Monica? Marriott i am talking is also in playa del mer , i can not afford the other one.

Currently, expedia has got one day sale and i am trying to see if can find a descent one in my price range. My goal is for 200 per night however will stretch it up to 250 if have to. would love to have a view but i guess with my price range would not be possible.

The price for Jamaica bay inn has gone up so will not be looking at it except if price drops .

Cheers

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,618 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay ?Santa Monica or Marina Del ray

Manhattan Beach is far, and not convenient without a car, although it's a very nice beach town.

vancouver
Level Contributor
594 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay ?Santa Monica or Marina Del ray

Thanks elle , pity as prices are much lower in Manhattan Beach.

i am still trying to find a cheap place with good quality and convenient location , i almost regret this trip now ..it was a very spontaneous decision should have checked my budget 1st.

I want it nice but not expensive ...well not possible.

Cheers

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay ?Santa Monica or Marina Del ray

Perhaps consider Westwood near UCLA - not sure what your budget is but try Hilgard House or the Kimpton Palomar. Public transit access there is reasonably good, its relatively central (not far from Santa Monica, for instance) and its quite a walkable area many shops, restaurants and even a couple of museums, though being next to UCLA it is catering to college kids to a large degree.

vancouver
Level Contributor
594 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay ?Santa Monica or Marina Del ray

hi machtree,

Kimpton seems very nice..i did not like the other one though...will decide based on price and location thanks a lot for the info.