We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 restaurant suggestions?

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
595 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
2 restaurant suggestions?

Hello. We have two evenings we will be dining in Santa Monica. Was thinking maybe one at the 3rd street promenade and one at Main street so we can walk around and window shop before or after dinner?

Can anyone make any recommendations? We like fresh fish, tapas, something with an interesting atmosphere, etc. Nothing too stuffy.

Thanks in advance.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,438 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 restaurant suggestions?

Look at Border Grill and True Food near 3rd Street and on Main Street, not cheap, but I wouldn't miss an opportunity to eat at Chinois.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,119 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 restaurant suggestions?

The Promenade isn't great for restaurants, but Lotteria Grill is great. There are so many fantastic restaurants surrounding the Promenade, though, like Water Grill and Blue Plate Oysterette and Bar Pintxo for tapas and Sushi Roku.

On Main Street, nothing beats Chinois, but there's also Chaya Venice and Tar and Roses (truly fantastic)

Edited: 02 April 2014, 04:01
West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,075 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 restaurant suggestions?

Google the menus of any restaurant in SM that interest you and familiarize yourself with the prices before you go.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
17,856 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 restaurant suggestions?

An old restaurant on Main St. is The Galley. Great bloody marys, casual, kitchy atmosphere, too:

http://thegalleyrestaurant.net/history.htm

On 2nd St., adjacent to the 3rd St. Promenade, try Taberna arros y vi for tapas and paellas.

Edited: 02 April 2014, 17:05
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
595 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 restaurant suggestions?

Water Grill is on the list as is true food. How about La Vecchia Cucina on main? Or Misfit? Would love to try Chinois but can't find prices for their menu which is a bit scary since we have 6 with us on this trip.

Thanks again.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,438 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 restaurant suggestions?

Look at Chinois's lunch menu it has prices and a prix fixe option.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,119 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 restaurant suggestions?

don't like La Vecchia much. Misfit is incredibly popular and well liked. Look into Musha, which is fantastic Japanese Tapas. Also Umami Burger at Fred Segal.

Chinois is pricey, but you split the dishes between 4-6 people, so with a party of six, you really only need 3 dishes. In other words, it's not one dish per person, and I don't find it all that expensive with a group of 6. If you go, be sure to order the Chinese Chicken Salad.

Santa Monica
Level Contributor
93 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 restaurant suggestions?

La Vecchia is a really good choice. I have been going there for over 25 years and the current owner/chef has it the best it has even been. The menu has something for everyone. Local customers keep coming back.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
595 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 restaurant suggestions?

Thanks for all the great suggestions. A few more questions:

1. Who would you say has the best pizza in the area?

2. Any thoughts in gladstones (i know its not right in santa monica but like the idea of sitting outside near the beach).

3. since there's so many great restaurants, do I even need to make reservations or can I decide once we get there?

Thanks again!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 restaurant suggestions?

1.) Joe's Pizza i'd say is the best...

2.) I grew up in Malibu - not a tremendous fan of Gladstone's (not a lobster person), but you can't beat the views. Other beach restaurants in the area of Malibu/Santa Monica (not counting price): Duke's, the restaurant at Malibu Beach Inn, Nobu, Nikita, Malibu Seafood, Lobster

3.) Reservations recommended at peak hours. You 100 percent need reservations at malibu beach inn, nobu, nikita.

Get answers to your questions about Santa Monica