We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santa Monica or Laguna Beach

sacramento
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Santa Monica or Laguna Beach

We have stayed in laguna Beach in the past and loved it, we were considering Shutters hotel in Santa Monica, what is the beach like in santa monica, beach shops and restaurants?

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,840 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Santa Monica or Laguna Beach

They are extremely different.

Laguna is a small town, with a real beach town feel, a village feel. Santa Monica is a bustling beach city. There are endless fantastic restaurants, shops, cafes, bars to walk to from Shutters - truly endless, you could spend a month and not discover them all. Shutters is one of the best hotels - anywhere - but the beach it sits on is large, busy, and very different than Laguna which is a small, narrow, peaceful, beach.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Santa Monica or Laguna Beach

Santa Monica is beautiful, the beach there is wide, and fantastic, but certainly it is a bit more hustle and bustle than Laguna. To start with, there's a huge pier on the beach, including a carnival that has a massive ferris wheel, merry-go-round and a roller coaster. Tons of shops and restaurants on the 3rd St. Promenade (3rd St. between Wilshire Blvd. and Broadway Ave.) and the surrounding streets, plus even more over on Main Street around Ocean Park Blvd. Shutters is an amazing hotel. So I don't think you'd go wrong in Santa Monica, but it is indeed a bit different than Laguna.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,956 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santa Monica or Laguna Beach

I think you have two great responses so far that lay out the differences pretty well.

I love Laguna Beach for a lot of reasons, but as you have done it, try SaMo and get a taste of something different.

I'd also note that Santa Monica is a tale of two cities (or three). There is the high rise, busy Third Street Promenade area (north of Shutters), but there is also the laid back surf town of Main Street (south of Shutters) and then high tech Santa Monica down at Cloverfield where Yahoo and the studios are (east of Shutters).

4. Re: Santa Monica or Laguna Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2015, 07:16