We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to pack and weather.

Carmel, Indiana
Level Contributor
471 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
What to pack and weather.

I know it could change, but as of today the weather looks as if it will be 68 - 70 and sunny the days we will be in Santa Monica. I'm starting to think of what to pack for our trip. I know to bring layers, but I'm wondering how it actually feels.

68 or 70 in the midwest is our spring, and usually feels more on the cool side. Right now we've been experiencing 85 - 88 with warmer humidities so it might feel more that way to us. I keep telling the boys not to expect Florida weather, but I better start thinking that way, too. I've been pulling out these pretty halter styled tops for the evenings at nicer restaurants and now I'm not so sure. Are you wearing longer sleeves in the evenings if you sit oudoors? I like to dress up in the evenings, but need to rethink what I'm bringing and wearing.

Edited: 03 June 2014, 14:26
Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,625 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to pack and weather.

Hi ,

Not necessarily long sleeve tops but definitely bring a wrap,shawl ,light jacket,sweater to go around your shoulders whether inside or outside. I find aircon in restaurants to be chilly and when the sun goes down those high temps go down too.

I'd think spring rather than your version of summer for clothing at night.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
30,046 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to pack and weather.

It's never humid here, it's nothing like Florida.

Pack what you had intended to pack, you'll be fine.

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
20,526 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to pack and weather.

Usually in mid afternoon, a breeze freshens. It's coming off of the cold water, so it can by chilly. By around 4:00 pm, if that breeze continues, I need long pants and a light sweatshirt. If there isn't much of a breeze, of course, it feels warmer.

I don't want to jinx anything, but we've also had very light fog in the mornings, burning off early. Typically, it burns off around noon, and typical still may happen, but for now, perfection!

Carmel, Indiana
Level Contributor
471 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to pack and weather.

Thanks all.

Luckenbach, Texas
Level Contributor
65 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to pack and weather.

Locals keep a jacket or such in the car because of the fluctuation of temps as they go about their day.

Ladies carry pashminas/shawls to cover their shoulders/laps to ward off AC drafts inside and cooler evening temps near the beach.

Realistically, during the day the locals look like they are going to or from work or a yoga class.

Carmel, Indiana
Level Contributor
471 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to pack and weather.

You know, yours isn't the first answer I received about shawls. Is that something that is used a lot on the west coast? Nobody ever wears that in the midwest as it has the feeling of "old", although the midwest isn't particularly know for our fashion forward sense of style. We would put on a light sweater or jacket, but you never see a shawl. Even my 82 year old mother never wore them. Just curious.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,625 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to pack and weather.

My friends on the east coast(in NYC) use them all the time so it's not just a west coast fashion item.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
20,526 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to pack and weather.

While I like a shawl or pashmina, frankly I don't see many women wearing them around here. But, keeping one in your handbag makes an air conditioned restaurant comfortable again! Another thing you see when in fashion, like the maxi dresses of the past couple of years, are women in comfortable dresses (not sacks, like a mumu, but slightly fitted, 100% cotton). When I go to Hawaii or the Caribbean, most local women are wearing cotton dresses during the day to run errands. I do it here when it's hot out, but I don't see a lot of other women wearing them. The beauty of Southern California? Nobody cares what you wear; there are too many people doing their own thing for anyone to fuss over some Emily Post dress code.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to pack and weather.

I believe the OP will also be in SF so they should most definitely have jackets and/or sweaters with them.

Carmel, Indiana
Level Contributor
471 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to pack and weather.

WhiteDahlia, I certainly will be bringing jackets and jeans for sure. I might even sneak in a few light weight hats for the boys for the night Alcatraz tour. Sweaters, really? bummer...I just put mine away a month ago. I have some fashionable jackets that I wear when I go out on the weekends that I wear in the fall/winter. They aren't necessarily heavy, but are long sleeved darker colors... not summer jackets for sure. Sounds like I would be fine bringing one or two with me and not look out of place. Do women wear summer scarves in SF.

Well, I don't have a shawl, but I have a light weight white summer sweater I'll bring with me to Southern CA to pop on if I get chilly in SF...HATE ruining my cute outfit covering it up though :)

Edited: 05 June 2014, 17:15
Get answers to your questions about Santa Monica